I guess its time

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
The truck never has a reason to work anymore-my trailer went to Florida last summer(behind someone elses truck).Guess its time to accept that wandering around hauling equipment is not in my future anymore. :Banned So I am going to sell my trailer-the one in my avatar.Goin to keep the truck for now.But its time may be comming too.Unless I find a good deal on a smaller bumper pull trailer or steal Darrins camper :rotflmao .I'm going to list it in the market place. Darn I miss working for a living!!
Mr Bill

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMB-
I've had many friends who "have hung up their guns" over the years and hearing the news is never easy. I've grown up over the years with them and seen them take pride in they do. I too dread the day I have to make that announcement. I've already had a sample of being chained down around the house 24/7 and I know I don't like being henpecked from the time I get up to the time I go to bed......

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I guess it is an "announcement"-hate to admit it though-God has been good to me & I need to remember that.I was told by my doc in 1978 after a semi slid into me (I was on foot)that I would never work again - he gave me 27 more years after that. 3 years ago he gave me some more time -we all should be thankful for our glass whether it seems 1/2 full or 1/2 empty.Depends on how we view it. Maybe with a smaller trailer and a tilt bed (haven't got one yet) I'll make a couple more trips time will tell. And God will decide. (And the wife will kill me :backoff :rotflmao ;Sweet)

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well maybe it is time to take it easy physically but not mentally. I can say with great sincerity that talking with You was one of the best conversations I have had by phone. If I get down there I will stop by, we have a trip planned this summer but it may be with the truck burning anything but 4 buck diesel.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OMB. All the best to you.

Go ahead and get yourself that 16+4 tiltbed you want and work part time if you want to.......... Whats wrong with ******* the ol lady off one more time, I'm sure it wouldn't be the first timeLOL :angel:

.......:hail :backoff

Or the last time:idiot: ..... Now you can blame it all on me ;)

suv7734

Reaction score
OMB. All the best to you.

Go ahead and get yourself that 16+4 tiltbed you want and work part time if you want to.......... Whats wrong with ******* the ol lady off one more time, I'm sure it wouldn't be the first timeLOL :angel:

.......:hail :backoff

Or the last time:idiot: ..... Now you can blame it all on me ;)

All the best in whatever you decide to do OMB! You deserve it :hail The big guy is obviously looking out for you... and us...

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old Mister Bill,

I know it's hard to hang up your spurs after so many years in the saddle. Yesterday, I was unloading a full load of horse manure from my F250 bed when two 40-year-old guys from next door came running over to help. They said "let us do that...you should take it easy". That was the first time anyone had ever implied that I was getting old and it felt weird, especially since I had loaded the manure into the truck by myself with a shovel. They helped and I appreciated it, but it got me to thinking. One idea I have for you is maybe you could find a buddy who runs a rig like yours and ride shotgun with him once in awhile. With your knowledge and experience, many guys would appreciate having you along.
I know I would if we were in the same neck of the woods.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
OMB I can kind of relate to how you feel. My dad has been an OTR driver since 1955. He's now 77 years young. He worked out a deal with a local trucking co. that he works for during the summer months. He takes about 2 loads a week (500 miles each). He "retires" every year around Nov. when the weather starts to turn cold then heads to Florida until April. Then he starts over again. He takes it easy on the trips and thats where he relaxes. You can take the man out of the truck ,but you can never take the truck out of the man. Best wishes for your "retirement"

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OMB

I know you got a few years on me, but I got the "early onset arthritis" and man 'o man, it sure does test your faith!! One of my Docs says "if you wake up and you're not in pain, you've probably made it to heaven!" My mind still feels 25, but my body is failing me. VERY frustrating...

Anyway, we each get dealt our cards and we make the best of what we get. I've always thought of you as a "half full" kinda guy, and you have certainly inspired me as long as I've known you, so keep that there chin up, I know you'll make the best of the hand you're dealt...

Zigg :)