I got problems my friends (injection problems)

Deathstar182

Local Ford nut
Reaction score
I did my injectors and return lines, no fuel leaks. so after doing those things I start it up and it still blows white smoke BUT now there is a knocking coming from the gear case in front of the injection pump AND it idles like el crappo. when I get on it it runs decent though :confused:
I assume it's the pump but once again put my faith in the infinite trial and error experiences of oilburners.net :hail

Truck is an 87 with the 6.9L IDI hypermax setup garret turbo. Thanks guys.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start working backwards till the culprit rears its ugly head.
That stated' what did you cut corners on or have to fight into place?
Has the fuel system been purged COMPLETELY of air?
Did ya loosten the gearcase cover?
Any timing meter involved?
Any chance ya left a tool or a rag on topside of eng. bay?
Not enuff beer?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your timing is one point, keep looking at stickies and repete the install backwards till ya find it!
If NOTHING BUT injectors were touched ' then My guess is air, it could take a few restarts and several min's to purge it!
Did ya kill some glows/harness say pass rear during the thrash?
Tourqued the inj. Corectly?
New coppers?
Did NOT bump any pintles going in?

Deathstar182

Local Ford nut
Reaction score
new coppers, just touched injectors and return lines, tightened everything down good and used thread sealant

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to do some homework.
Repurge the system or run it easy like!

Deathstar182

Local Ford nut
Reaction score
how do you purge the system? I ran it for a bit and it's running better, but still blowing white smoke and idling too low

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What thread sealant did you use and where?
Some white smoke is natural until engine warms up.
With new injectors the timing may be off also, retarded IP, mark original spot, try advancing about 1/16".

Are the new injectors a rebuild/reman or new?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the little cover on front of gear case and make sure the bolts didnt back out of pump

Deathstar182

Local Ford nut
Reaction score
I didn't touch the pump, but I would like to know how to time it as timing probably has to do with it. it sounds more now that I think of it that I accidentally pulled a wire or something and it won't do high idle it tries to idle at 500 RPM right after start. anyone have a good idea of what controls the high/low idle? thanks for the responses guys

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you pulled the wire off the pump for the high idle or off the sensor, that would keep it from going to high idle. Other causes would be bad solenoid (the little plunger thing that pushes the throttle up) or bad temp sensor which will also cause the cold advance to not work. That would also cause your cold timing to be retarded from where it normally would be. Check all the wires connected to the IP and the water temp sensor. You may just find your problem.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's easy to bump and knock the connector temp sensor off on the pass side under the alt. that would keep it from going into Hi idle. You must give it a foot throttle one cycle after the key is on to set it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As posted already. The fast idle circuit is connected to the cold advance on the injection pump. That wire is the back wire on top of the pump. Its the smaller spade connector. the front wire is the shut off solenoid and it has a large spade connector. You really can't mix them up because they wont fit. Now as posted the sender is that one that behind the thermostat housing and thats behind the alternator. Before you go trying to push or pull the wire connector off way back there try removing the wire to the fast idle solenoid on a cold engine. Just turn on the ignition switch to the run and not the start section on the switch. Now remove the wire from the solenoid at the fast idle that has the brass plunger to push open the throttle. Its easilg seen on the passenger side of the injection pump. you will be able to see the plunger pushing the throttle stop. Now to make this work and cause a fast idle on cold starts you must press the throttle peddle down once. that tiny solenoid does not have the power to push open the throttle against the throttle return spring.

Deathstar182

Local Ford nut
Reaction score
THANK YOU! I had accidentally pulled the wire off that goes to the temp sending unit, after you said "behind the thermostat housing" I was able to find it, and now my fast idle is working!!!! the engine sounds decent! but now to fix the oil leak and ticking >.>

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad this forum was able to point you in the correct direction. Enjoy the ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online