I did it and now it's going to hurt.// 4R100 Upgrade

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ho Boy is it going to hurt. Now I am getting the 4R100 4X4 with PTO trans for the '94 F350 crewcab duallie and that is coming out of a junkyard tomorrow along with an electric transfer case with switch and some wiring.
Now to find myself a 92-97 F350 4X4 front axle, preferably with springs and mounts with a 4.10 ratio. I suspect I will be building that also once I just get a case.
I will be rebuilding the trans and quite possibly the transfer case. The transfer should be at least taken apart for a look.
Did I mention the PTO driven pump with a hydraulic system and hyd front winch in the future? Along with hyd lines and another mount to the rear of the truck?
Might as well. I already have a Warn 12K winch with front and rear mounts on the gasser '86 F250.
The wife is headed for the closet to get the shot gun out. . .
Just call me "Forest" as is in "Run Forest, run!"

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I’m remembering right the pcm increases the line pressure when the pto is activated to increase the holding power of one of the clutches. Are you using a stand alone controller or the factory TECA?

I’m guessing you also know you have to switch out the solenoid pack, torque converter from 6 studs to a 4 stud, change the manual lever and MLPS switch and put an orifice in the torque converter apply line to reduce if from ~0.250” to ~0.080” so the TCC clutch doesn’t slam on.

Also make sure you get the bracket that the shifter cable is attached to on the trans as it’s different to clear the pto, mite want to grab the shift cable also.

Last edited:

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh. . . . Were learning as we go.
A stand alone controller might be they way I go. I believe Banks makes a controller.
The torque converter I already found out about and that sank another $309.

"I’m guessing you also know you have to switch out the solenoid pack"
You guess wrong. i idit. my trouble code is id ten T. spelled out is, id10T
How do I switch out solenoid pack?

"change the manual lever and MLPS switch and put an orifice in the torque converter apply line to reduce if from ~0.250” to ~0.080” so the TCC clutch doesn’t slam on."

Manual lever? MLPS switch? I plan to get the 4R100 and rebuild it including a "tugger" kit and a few other things along the way.
So now the question is, why the restricted office? What/why causes the TCC to slam on?
I also forgot to mention my desire to upgrade the exhaust to a larger size and add an exhaust brake in the future.

Thank you and thank you again in advance, for your knowledge.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4r100 solenoid pack uses a pwm solenoid for the tcc lockup, this allows for a smoother/pcm fine tuneable control of the tc lockup, when ford did this they opened up the feed orifice to 1/4” and the pwm solenoid controls the apply rate. When you go to either the aftermarket or stock controller they are all designed to use on/off control. Now what happens is when the pcm goes to turn on the tcc the fluid flow is too fast and causes the tc to slam on, not a desirable condition.

The manual lever position switch on the 4r100 is a digital range switch which has a dozen or so switches in it to tell the pcm what gear you have selected. The stock/aftermarket controllers are designed to use a resistive based switch and cannot understand the newer switch, the e4od switch also doesn’t line up on the shaft that the shift cable connects to so you have to swap in an e4od shaft so you can use the e4od switch.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you telling me the best bet is to get the 4R100 controller, neutral/reverse switch and linkage?
I believe in easy. I am already a few regrets for taking on this project.
The current next project for this truck is to pull the bed to fix the non worker sender in the front tank and the broken pick-up tube in the rear tank as well as replace the switching valve before it breaks.
So, to keep this easy, I should get the OEM controller, linkage, reverse switch and if I do that, do I still need to,
"put an orifice in the torque converter apply line to reduce if from ~0.250” to ~0.080” so the TCC clutch doesn’t slam on."?
This is just going to wind up being an expensive toy. oops.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can’t use the oem 4r100 controller as it’s part of the PCM that runs the powerstroke engine. There maybe a aftermarket controller that will work with the 4r100 digital range sensor (neutral/reverse switch) and maybe the pwm tcc but I don’t know if such a thing exists. I would recommend getting the bracket and shift cable just in case you need them.

Why do you need a 4r100 with pto? These trucks came with a bw1356 transfercase with pto option which would be way easier to implement then the 4r100 trans.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh, Say what?
I am NOW feeling like a total idit.
Pardon me while I bounce my head off the desk for a brief time.
Sunny Beach. Somewhere.
So, I can get a BW1356 transfer case to bolt up to a 4X4 A4OD that will run a PTO driven hyd pump?
(then I can get the PTO driven hyd pump for the front winch game)

Okay. I owe you such a big one it is beyond belief.
Back up 10 yards and punt. Try this again.

A4OD 4X4 with the BW 1356 Transfer hooked up to a '92 to '97 F350 4X4 front axle.
Dual rear come with a 4.10 ratio and extensions on the front axle.
Other than that I get to start building on the front axle as '95 to '97 had larger calipers and rotors I believe.
Still I am greatly thankful for your knowledge and postings that have narrowly kept me out of trouble.
So as Long as I am ignorant, pardon my asking, how then does the PTO operate? Place the main trans in neutral and engage the PTO in high or low range?

How did you get so blessed smart?
Your a Godsend into my life right now. You just saved me a whole bunch of money and real aggravation and I thank you!

Now the junk yard will be not happy with me as I was going to pick up the 4R100 today, but now with gratitude to you, I will not be going after. I wonder if they have the A4OD with the 1356?
Hope so!

Thank you again!!!

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope when your saying A4OD your meaning E4OD and not AOD/AODE as those are small block gasser trans. Assuming E4OD, you would put the trans in gear (probably 1 or 2), transfer case would go into neutral, PTO clutch on and you could start winching then I believe (I’ve never had or used a pto device but this is how I would use it).

A word of caution, the bw1356 with pto comes on the f250 and f350 but I have found not all of them actually have the pto gear in them, before paying or taking home a bw1356 take off the pto plate and make sure the gear is there.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay. E4OD. Talking to junk yard right now and cancelling the 4R100 to begin with. Then to find out if they have my desires.
Now off the phone and the trans is in one yard and the transfer case in another. Both should be here Thursday afternoon sometime and unfortunately, the same price tag. However, this will save me the trouble of the TECA and associated wiring. I also asked them to pull the side cover and verify a PTO gear is in there.
So, NOW I am at a 93/4 E40D for the 7.3 Diesel with the BW 1356 transfer case. The transfer case came in a bit high priced but at least I won't be chasing it.
The trans part wholesale shop will appreciate me calling back in a few days to get prices on the E4OD rebuild/upgrade kit's for it.
That should get me into an upgrade at least to allow me to use an exhaust brake also.
Maybe you can tell me then about exhaust brakes. I found one that says it will work with stock engines, That is to say the original valve springs, which is good for me. I am not ready to rebuild heads as of yet.
So now another question is if I keep the engine the same and just change the exh system, would I see a noticeable change in performance? I believe the OEM system is 2.5 inch. Up to what size then? Mind you, this will be done after the 4X4 conversion and the PTO. Engine mods might wait awhile but I might also need an exhaust large enough to cover those.
Another 1/2 hour and I need to run the wife's van off to the tire shop. This entertainment never ends.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you get so blessed smart?
Your a Godsend into my life right now. You just saved me a whole bunch of money and real aggravation and I thank you!

Now the junk yard will be not happy with me as I was going to pick up the 4R100 today, but now with gratitude to you, I will not be going after. I wonder if they have the A4OD with the 1356?
Hope so!

Thank you again!!!
Yep I can second this, @ifrythings has saved my bacon a couple times just in the last year or less!
:thanks: :Thumbs Up :cheers: