I Couldn't Take it Anymore!

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
I love my IDI so much that I perfer to drive it over my Honda Civic even at over $425/month fuel bill cookoo . I drive 25,000 miles per year and don't think I put over 1,000 on the Honda in a year (even at 38 miles/gal) cookoo .

Well at almost $3/gal, I'm going to rest the IDI for a while :puke: . I try not to think of it as giving in, but an opportunity to do some "project" stuff to her and then run her better than ever.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Can you make time to make your own fuel? That can save you the money and you'll have some fun while doing it.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe me, I know how you feel. After paying $125 to fuel up my truck last week -cuss my truck's playing "driveway queen" unless I absolutely need to move things. I miss my truck!!!

And, the saddest thing is, with needing to move soon (going out on my own for the first time), I don't have the $$ or time to do a project to take advantage of this downtime...

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
not including veg oil, my truck gets about 38mpg :)

do I need to do a write up on the quick and dirty methods of making burnable fuels?

who do I need to contact?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me. Send me a PM. I'd love to have some alternative fuel articles in our Tech Articles.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
most excellent.
it'll be a week or two as I'm a landscaper in spring :)

any particular format for the text?

thanks
drew

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Congrats. If you don't need to haul something heavy I don't see any point in driving a truck. I like my IDI as far as trucks go, but its a last resort to go anywhere, big, bulky and slow compared to most anything else. It does its job well, but I just can't see using one as a commuter/daily driver, but then I live in a croweded area and my commuter weighs 450lbs and makes as much hp as my IDI:Sly

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I have to completely disagree with bike pilot(sorry) I would prefer to drive my truck than any other vehicle I own. Especially in traffic. It's so much better to look over traffic and minivans than thru them. When my son was in the hospital for 3 months, we took the truck to Pittsburgh every night, (70 miles round trip) and parked it in the parking garage(no a lot of fun there). Much better than the wifes Pontiac. This summer is my major trial and error season for the WVO. So far so good on a 50/50 mix. Bio-D maybe the next step for me.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck only moves when it's towing the boat or bad snow.
Other than that it's the ...
06 Corolla-S (40 mpg) or the ...
81 Vette (18 mpg) or the ...
ol Harley (who cares) ;Sweet

These fuel prices blow :mad:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
When I turn 16 my truck will be my daily driver to and from school and work. I'm looking into WVO right know.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
To each their own, I commute in and out of DC every day along the I-95 corridor so I'm always in heavy traffic. I much perfer a car over a full size truck and my bike over the car. The bike gives excelent visability (my head is about the same level on it as in my F-250) and is so easy to manuver, uses so little fuel and is just so much fun:D

GRuss said:
I have to completely disagree with bike pilot(sorry) I would prefer to drive my truck than any other vehicle I own. Especially in traffic. It's so much better to look over traffic and minivans than thru them. When my son was in the hospital for 3 months, we took the truck to Pittsburgh every night, (70 miles round trip) and parked it in the parking garage(no a lot of fun there). Much better than the wifes Pontiac. This summer is my major trial and error season for the WVO. So far so good on a 50/50 mix. Bio-D maybe the next step for me.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I commute in and out of DC every day along the I-95 corridor so I'm always in heavy traffic.

You have my sympathy. I've driven around DC twice on 95, and you can have it. :puke: I like my two lane dirt paths. ;Sweet :D

Snowman671

Dave Sewell
Reaction score
Now here is a sad fact.... Years ago Diesel was dumped in the ocean becuase it was a waste by-product of making gasoline.. Now it costs more then the damn gas that is is derived from. Doesn't that make you feel good knowing that something that is waste now you must pay premium prices for.

Has anyone here looked into producing diesel from used motor oil? I have a friend that has alot of plans on it and a few sucess stories from a few other that make it. Way I understand is the process takes waste oil and heats it (with waste oil) to produce the diesel in controlled temp range. makes 1/2 gal diesel for every gal of waste oil but the only by prduct is is a non harmful ash.

As for alterntive fuels. I checked the other day and noticed that I could buy the same oil the local chinise place uses to cook with in a 55gal drum for 1.65 a gal brand spankin new.. is this a alternative to using the used oil i assume one could run off it direct without having to worry about straining and cleaning the stuff...

Anyways.. Diesel prices are up and no one is happy.. I use my truck on the weekends mostly and drive my 34+mpg Elantra to work but I still love the truck and when i get a whim I'll crank her up drive her to work and burn off half a tank of fuel !!! It's so much fun pulling up behind someone knowing that if you ran them over the old truck would survive much better than that little dodge neon. .... Plus the headlights shining right at annoying levels I can pay back the guy that tailgated me for miles then passed me only to get stuck behind 5 slow people and no place to pass.. I bet them lights get annoying eh.

Dave

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Snowman671 said:
Years ago Diesel was dumped in the ocean becuase it was a waste by-product of making gasoline.. Now it costs more then the damn gas that is is derived from.

I dont want to burst your bubble but........... diesel wasnt dumped in the ocean and it is not derived from gasoline.

Snowman671

Dave Sewell
Reaction score
In the refining process the crude oil is heated to produce the products.

First product out of crude oil in the distilling process is solvents

The chains in the C5, C6 and C7 range are all very light, easily vaporized, clear liquids called naphthas. They are used as solvents -- dry cleaning fluids can be made from these liquids, as well as paint solvents and other quick-drying products.

The second set of products is gasoline

The chains from C7H16 through C11H24 are blended together and used for gasoline. All of them vaporize at temperatures below the boiling point of water. That's why if you spill gasoline on the ground it evaporates very quickly.

The Third Product is heavy oils/fuels

Kerosene, in the C12 to C15 range, followed by diesel fuel and heavier fuel oils (like heating oil for houses)

All from the same crude and the distilling process..

So it is not derived directly from gasoline but more the process of distilling crude oil to make gasoline..

Sorry I did not make my statement clear :)

Please forgive me...

Dave