Hypermax smoke puff limiter?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
pretty much limits fuel until boost comes up to prevent excess smoke on acceleration. the couple guys i have seen run them are happy with them.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are pretty much like the AFC on a Cummins IP. You can also tune it like an AFC too. RacinNdrmmin is looking at making something like that for his Db4 so there must be some benefit to it. I do think it would help with egts a bit too.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It imitates the anaeroid found stock on most Bosch turbo injection pumps that limits the injected volume of fuel until you have enough boost to actually burn it so that you arent runing overly rich and bogging down, wasting fuel and pouring out clouds of needless smoke. Not only wil it clean up your tailpipe, but when tuned properly, it will actually improve your accelleration.
I always wondered why the heck Stanadyne didnt put something like that on at the factory, and a while back I had the good fortune to have a very long conversation over the phone with the fella at Hypermax who designed that Smoke puff Limiter, and aparantly, He had been wondering the very same thing for quite some time... and so he did something about it ;Sweet THose folks at Hypermax are great!

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
ok, so it limits fuel until sufficient boost is available. with everything being mechanical how does it read boost? there must be a tube that runs from the turbo to the top of the ip, then once boost is at a certain level it moves something in the pump to up the fuel delivery.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
ok, so it limits fuel until sufficient boost is available. with everything being mechanical how does it read boost? there must be a tube that runs from the turbo to the top of the ip, then once boost is at a certain level it moves something in the pump to up the fuel delivery.

You T in to the line going to your boost gauge and it uses that as a signal. You set the fuel on your pump at the max that you would ever want and the device automatically cuts back on how much will be injected untill you actually have enough boost to burn the fuel you are calling for with your foot

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A cheaper way might be to instal a BD spool valve to give add more velosity to the exhaust side turbo for quicker spool down low. It opens as boost increases.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Doing some reading a while back and it was apparent that Stanadyne did NOT design these IP's with a Turbo in mind. The original "Roosamaster" pump is 1940's technology. They were originally designed for stationary engines and small tractor engines, where turbo boost was a non-issue either because it was constant or not existent.

I think International chose this IP because it was already proven, cheap, and engineering efforts would have been far more obtainable since Stanadyne is a US Company (Hartford CT) where as trips to Bosch would have required travel to a land known as "West Germany"

LOL

Some fun reading..

http://files.asme.org/asmeorg/Communities/History/Landmarks/10001.pdf

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stanadyne did in fact have a smoke puff limiter for these. I don't know much about it and the picture showing it isn't that great but here is some info on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you tune it? i have one didn't know what it was. but i blow a good amount of black smoke in 2cnd hammering down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online