Hypermax Cowl Induction....

transmogrifiednow

Reaction score
home made;

You must be registered for see images attach

What about the sound for you? Is it much louder? If the hp gains are negligible I'd rather not have an airplane engine in my ear while driving. If it really helps the engine then I'll just deal with the sound. I know these engines are loud yada yada but I have other people in my truck a lot and we need to hear the conversation. I haven't been able to see if anyone has actually dyno'd the difference this setup makes. Lots of butt dynos of course but they're full of crap! Has it been worth it for you?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the sound for you? Is it much louder? If the hp gains are negligible I'd rather not have an airplane engine in my ear while driving. If it really helps the engine then I'll just deal with the sound. I know these engines are loud yada yada but I have other people in my truck a lot and we need to hear the conversation. I haven't been able to see if anyone has actually dyno'd the difference this setup makes. Lots of butt dynos of course but they're full of crap! Has it been worth it for you?

well it wont show up on a dyno i don't believe.the windshield becomes high pressure at somewhere around 35mph (depending on the vehicle) where it really shines is reduced smoke.chip truck is extremely less smoky than log truck,with it's oem intake than this truck is (before and after the moose ip w/spl)
and of course,the more,cooler air helps EGT's.
yup.you can hear it.it's not like it's constant.pretty much only under load and most notably on decel after pulling a load you'll hear her......hoooooosh.
but it's not like it's so loud that your voice or the radio on low/moderate wont drowned it out.
there are no con's making cowl induction not worth doing imo.

if ya don't like it,you could always simply plug the hole back up using some sound deadening material.it's not like these are collector vehicles.your not going to harm them by cutting stuff up.:D

it's probably not something your going to feel.if your looking for #'s don't bother.
the main thing is to just pull in outside air from somewhere.cold air = more air.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?43812-Intake-Air-Temperature-Experiment

Last edited:

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Indeed getting the coldest air possible is important for these engines. I don't know about you guys but mine is EGT limited. Whenever towing I drive by the pyro.

Also note if doing cowl induction replace the cowl to hood seal. With floor vents open mine would blast my feet with hot air at lower speeds and when taking off from a stop while towing, much less so unloaded. With a new seal it doesn't really do that. So keep in mind if your seal is not sealing your cowl is likely full of very hot air.

transmogrifiednow

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I will give it a try. I just installed a new cowl seal so that air should be nice and cold. I'm sure the cowl intake will help with my turbo once I get it too. I'll maybe apply some more deadening around the drain or something. Or just turn up the stereo.

transmogrifiednow

Reaction score
FORDF250HDXLT , What material is that that I see around the hole you cut in the drain area? Is it EZ cool? Some kind of heat/sound shield?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup.that's ezcool.
http://www.lobucrod.com/

oh yeah.that's right.you know i did exactly what your thinking.i recall now.i had the same concern as you lol! i forgot but i did remove the cowl and i installed ez cool inside the cowl on the firewall side.i should look down in there to see how it's withstood the weather over the last couple years.
i seem to recall two layers there on the firewall in the engine bay.....that's where most noise comes from of course.....well from the engine that is.the floor and doors really block the road noise.

Last edited:

transmogrifiednow

Reaction score
yup.that's ezcool.
http://www.lobucrod.com/

That's funny, I was planning on doing exactly that. Insulating the cowl with ez or maybe some of that butyl stuff. I will also do the engine side of the firewall like you did. I've already put EZ cool on the whole floor and the doors and its much quieter, so I don't want to undo all I've done sound-wise with this hypermax mod.

transmogrifiednow

Reaction score
Finally did it. Worked on it in at lunch at work and in between other stuff, so it needs some finessing. Used aluminum heater ducting from Home Depot and wrapped in some EZ cool to insulate it. gouged out a hole in the cowl with a drill and some tin snips. Quite the Jerry rig, but I've got cowl air comin' to me now. Also painted the cowl black cause it looks sweet. My friend's 8th gen gasser next to mine.