Hydroboost Conversion

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How come these threads ask whats needed when there are plenty of threads say whats needed?

Does the need for the same parts change due to the fact the thread is old; no not at all.

Getting entertained by this thread to say the least.

As I have said to everyone who adds a hydroboost....get the correct pedal.....add a filter on a return line and a cooler as well. You are now running fluid through a pump....a booster...and a steering gear.

Filtering the ps fluid adds capacity and does help to clean out the greeblies.

Since adding a filter and cooler and flushing my ps/booster my pump no longer has the ford growly whine what so ever. I use TDH tractor hydraulic fluid exclusively for my ps system and its working extremely well.

By a 10L jug and flush your system.

JM7.3CW Eh!

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
How come these threads ask whats needed when there are plenty of threads say whats needed?

Does the need for the same parts change due to the fact the thread is old; no not at all.

Getting entertained by this thread to say the least.

I could be smart right now or a total a-hole but I wont.
I asked because yes, There are threads about this. But, They're old and alot of contradiction because people were still "new" to it. Just like I told Idiot. Maybe, Someone has came up with a badass setup for doing it since. I seen one on another forum but he went all out with no expense spared.
Lastly, I thought these forums were for helping others, Not being a smartass any chance you get. I asked for help on something from people who might of found a excellent way of doing it that hasn't posted it. Not for others to be a smartass just becuase the same question has been asked before.

Thank you to the others who have contributed to the thread. Its appreciated. Last I heard also, The reman units didn't come with pushrods. Have to check into that this week to confirm.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
you'll know the f-super duty/f450 came with the hydroboost system if the truck is an 87-97 because they all came with hydroboost.if the pedal is still there but the trans is different,get it anyway for someone else before the truck is scrapped.someone here could use it.;Sweet

wow that's awesome hce.last i knew,none of the remans came with the pushrod.great deal too.wish i could of only payed around half price instead of new but she sure has been worth penny just the same,so i can't complain.

I won't know about the pedal until this Friday if I can make it. Not sure. Cash is getting kinda tight. I'll try. I really do think it still has it. Do I need just the pedal or the whole assembly around it?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't know about the pedal until this Friday if I can make it. Not sure. Cash is getting kinda tight. I'll try. I really do think it still has it. Do I need just the pedal or the whole assembly around it?

If your truck is same era then it is easier to swap pedal assemblies than dissassemble two assem lies to make yours have correct pedal.

If for example the pedals are there but in an OBS F450 then you just need the pedal.

It has to be same trans pedal assembly...std for std...auto for auto...std dont fit auto n vica versa

I did a tech 101 on the 3 varieties of std pedal assemblies showing bull brick and obs assemblies. search for it and you will see.

Also my big blue ox build should cover my hydroboost install along with ps fikter and cooler.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
I think it was an auto. '87 450 RCLB....Hold On, I might have a picture...
You must be registered for see images attach

Only picture I have of the interior. Couldn't get close because of hornets.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it rusted right down through the cab roof? that's some hardcore acidic rain.where are you?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If auto pedal grab it anyway...guys w auto would buy it ...you can drill and repin your pedal at your own risk...i did it and fine n dandy...no wait..cut arm n welded it...thats right.

When my son and I do his cc lb hydroswap.

I WILL WRITE A TECH 101

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
If auto pedal grab it anyway...guys w auto would buy it ...you can drill and repin your pedal at your own risk...i did it and fine n dandy...no wait..cut arm n welded it...thats right.

When my son and I do his cc lb hydroswap.

I WILL WRITE A TECH 101

If its auto, I'm grabbing it for me lol. I've got 2 C6s waiting. I'm strongly against welding the arm...
Tech would be nice. No more I did it this way and had to do alllll this or I did it this way and it was cake crap. List of parts and procedure in break down language.... With a disclosure for the *********.
Looking at getting a HB from a guy in a FB group soon for 150. HB, pedal for auto transmission, and maybe hoses. Still going to look Friday but if the hornets are still there, sorry guys.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for hydro conversion you need!

Correct pedal for type of trans...

Hydroboost unit complete w firewall plate and pushrods
master cyl...some reuse old one...not me I am not into slotting a mc to fit

power steering reservior the plastic tank...has two return fittings vs 1 for non hydro....

Need correc ps lines for your year of truck...there was a switch on the pump end fittings around late 80's iirc...so get the fitting going into the pump and releif valve and line from pump to hydro.

Line from hydro to steering box

Buy new return line....plumb a cooler and filter if you choose. I added a cooler and eliminated the stock hard line cooler.....against x member...it works ok but a bigger one like I installed is better.

Lots of ps fluid...again I strictly use TDH as it is a superior fluid for this application.

Botto. Line it is better to strip entire assembly from a used truck complete than attempt to hodge podge it together.....lines fittings etc make it simple....once you remove fitting from plastic reservoir you can carefully rotate and pull it back off pump.....easy peasy.

JM7.3CW Eh!

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
Riotwarrior is correct. I forgot about the MC hole spacing over on FTE. The hydro boost MC has a wider hole spacing.

Jimmylb01

Reaction score
Cruiseomatic if it's a manual pedal I could use it, don't have many pick and pulls out in West texas

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might be an old thread but for those attempting Hydroboost and are unlucky with modifying or finding the right pedal Hydratech has a more expensive yet total bolt in option using the standard master cylinder, firewall mounts and factory pedal assembly. This article by Four Wheeler details the install.