Hydroboost Conversion

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Looking to put hydroboost on my '87. What years will be bolt on setups? I've read 87-97 will be. Also read alot of contradicting information and most was from 09-11. Not much that was recent.

What all would I need to complete the conversion? I know the unit, PS pump reservoir, and lines. Also heard I would need to get a cooler with this setup. Tried reading as much as I could but just got lost in all of it.

Is there a list I could reliably go off to use for a parts list? Install looks fairly straight forward unless there are torque values I haven't come across.

As for the PS Pump, I'll most likely just replace mine totally as its oem and the shaft is bent.

I did find a new motorcraft hydro unit but wondering if its like the rest and doesn't come with the rod, Or does it?

Thanks

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Gotta love when people dont read everything......
I've read 87-97 will be. Also read alot of contradicting information and most was from 09-11. Not much that was recent.
Tried reading as much as I could but just got lost in all of it.
Before telling others to read, Make sure you read yourself.
I just said, I already searched before but looking for something more recent that 5 years ago and it appears that is when alot of people began to convert.
So maybe everyone has had time to fine tune and get it all figured out.
But, Still gotta love smartass's. They bring the humor out.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they are the same from 80-97.
hence the "F series trucks"

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im gonna make you search for it ;) its right in front of you.

you know, reading all of it n such. LOL

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
I should add, If I order the HB (BRB37) with MC (MC390158) which lists is for these trucks, Will I still need a different pedal arm or not? The two will only run me $322 new. Not to many 450 trucks here still have them and I don't (hate) getting safety equipment at boneyards. It looks like the only things I'll need to do this is, the HB, MC, PS pump, and hoses really.
The hoses will be a custom job probably if I go with a cooler. Is one really necessary or can I get by without it?

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
LOL just left the other forum to come here and get the link but it seems you have found it. Good luck it is a great upgrade. best thing for my truck period and really a great safety upgrade.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Lol. Thanks. Trying to get all the parts together but these trucks here are going for gold prices basically. Come to think of it, on the 450 I did find, If the HB is already gone, How will I know it had it? I think I remember the pedals still being on the truck. Just didn't have the balls to fight the hornets for it.....at the time.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try your stock pedal with a stock master cylinder. You already have them, you may or may not like the feel and can be changed later. On my 84 I used the stock master cylinder and brake pedal. Strange thing is the brake pedal requires far less travel then the vacuum servo. I am guessing it has to do with the adjustment of the master cylinder pushrod out of each booster.
What about the brake pedal pushrod? My angles must be off with the stock pedal. The angles on mine are the exact same. The height or the vacuum pedal pushrod and the hydro were placed in the same height.
I am not saying any of this may be your case, but just make sure to check all the critical connections, like pushrod angle.
I have not had a heating issue, with the stock cooler, its that long steel line with no fins on the crossmember.

The search is quirky on this site, I think I documented some aspects of my conversion, or replied in someones elses thread what I used, I am not going to waste an hour looking for it. Some times its just better to ask. nly so much we can do to the trucks, site would get pretty inactive if the reoccurring questions did not continually pop up.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
found the booster I used, did not show it on the pictures, but mine came with the pushrod. ac delco 14pb4343

Warning, results may vary.

pump I used was atsco 7107
I know the years do not match. I swapped the pressure fitting and relief off my original pump and it worked like a charm.
as far as hoses order the ones for a f superduty of the same year.

if you need a master cylinder pushrod

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it, on the 450 I did find, If the HB is already gone, How will I know it had it? I think I remember the pedals still being on the truck.

you'll know the f-super duty/f450 came with the hydroboost system if the truck is an 87-97 because they all came with hydroboost.if the pedal is still there but the trans is different,get it anyway for someone else before the truck is scrapped.someone here could use it.;Sweet

wow that's awesome hce.last i knew,none of the remans came with the pushrod.great deal too.wish i could of only payed around half price instead of new but she sure has been worth penny just the same,so i can't complain.

Last edited: