Hummmmm, New Brush Truck

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Looking around today as we (the VFD) is looking at getting a new brush truck and everybody really likes the F550 platform & they want the truck to have around 500gal of water as the F550 can do this.

However, I brought up the entire 6.4 POS subject & then somebody reminded me about the diesel smog thingamabomb in the exhaust that burns around 1K degrees when it's up and running. Hell, that alone could start grass fires & burn the truck up.

We were looking around to see if Chebby or Dodge made a F550 style truck, but it seems they do not make such a truck.

What other options are there in diesel trucks in/around the F550 frame size????

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as far as the chassis goes, none.
But all will be thermonuclear option...
the closest you will find is the chevy C4500 or C5500 and the ride on those trucks royally sucks.

Ak HDM

Reaction score
Rampy, every diesel available now is going to have the particulate filter on it. Including medium & heavy trucks. I would think the tank installer could put a stack on & get the particulate filter from under the vehicle.
I wonder how many fires are going to be started from the new rigs this summer out in the grass & the woods!!:eek: :eek:
Dodge is supposed to be coming out with one but I haven't heard when.

Mike

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rampy, every diesel available now is going to have the particulate filter on it. Including medium & heavy trucks. I would think the tank installer could put a stack on & get the particulate filter from under the vehicle.
I wonder how many fires are going to be started from the new rigs this summer out in the grass & the woods!!:eek: :eek:
Dodge is supposed to be coming out with one but I haven't heard when.

Mike
Durge is coming out with a CC in the 450 and 550 class in the US. They've been selling them for years in central and south america.
oh yea, if you don't like the look of a goat on the front of your truck, here's a alternative coming out real soon.....

Attachments

• sterlingdumptrk.jpg
    sterlingdumptrk.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 23

82fordtruck

Reaction score
How much water!!!

We use 100 gallons of water and run almost two hours before filling on grass fires. We run about 300 PSI and a low flow nozzle. We can just scoot on everything but trees. We have to get more GPM to put out trees and branches.

I don't know what you use to pump with, but we have a low pressure, high flow mini pumper set up like that, and almost never use it for grass fires.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
When is dodge releasing the 550 class trucks for sale? Called the local Dodge dealer and was told they are not ready for sale yet & he was not sure when they would be released.

On my newest brush truck I can run 100 feet of 1.75 inch hose with a 95gpm nozzle on it for almost 3 min before running the tank dry. It's great on dumpster fires, car fires and other small fires.

The pump is a standard BLM pump, not sure of the exact specs as it's been a , but we run it around 100-125 psi and the spray bars will last ya about 5 min if ya only run one at a time.

You must be registered for see images attach

architect-builder

Reaction score
Check with your usual supplier. I know that both Boise Mobile and Lake City are still advertising brush trucks on the Ford 06 - 07 platforms. They were both present at Fire School here a month ago.

(BTW, great looking Brush Truck!)

Barrett

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Check with your usual supplier.

They have an aprox 6 month wait for the 08 F550 chassis as of a week or 2 ago.

No 07's available as they are like gold from what we have been able to find.

Who are your suppliers:D :D :D

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Thanks, we are having our annual Red Card class this weekend (and next now that it's a 32 hour class) and I'll pass the info along to the Chief.

What's even scarier is that they want to get me certified in conducting back burns :eek: :eek: :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Played with the drip torch last year for several hours with a BLM honcho learning how to use it and the in's and out's of it & now for some strange reason the Chief thinks I should actually be certified and able to conduct back burns cookoo cookoo ;p ;p

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Had a nice long talk with the Chief and she had also been doing more research after the e-mails I sent her.

Bottom line is she's now wanting to get a GMC Topkick 4500 or 5500 ;p ;p ;p

Hard part is going to be convincing the board, but if Ford burns up enough trucks that will be lots easier for us :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Hey Ramps,

Pretty sweet setup.:thumbsup:

Is that a packaged unit or did you guys put it together?

Kinda what we're looking into as we're in the shopping mode for a new brush truck too.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
It's a customized brush truck from http://www.wildcatfiretrucksusa.com/index.htm

We took the standard package & then changed a few things & added spray bars for our own needs. Our brush truck was the 1st time they ever put spray bars on one.

Hey Ramps,

Pretty sweet setup.:thumbsup:

Is that a packaged unit or did you guys put it together?

Kinda what we're looking into as we're in the shopping mode for a new brush truck too.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ramprat said:
It's a customized brush truck from http://www.wildcatfiretrucksusa.com/index.htm

We took the standard package & then changed a few things & added spray bars for our own needs. Our brush truck was the 1st time they ever put spray bars on one.

;Sweet Looks purdy good!
Bout how much did that setup run the dept, if'n ya don't mind me askin?