Hp gains?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you read the sales brochure they claim I believe 500 ft lbs but they don't say where which to me means probably flywheel. I can almost believe that. I think I linked the brochure on the first few posts of my build thread because someone asked how I was going to get to my goals... which have shifted slightly... not a lot but slightly. :D

Edit: Here is the "test report" from that page.

http://assets.bankspower.com.s3.amazonaws.com/test_reports/Sidewinder_FordChev/index.html

Edit 2: The other thing to remember is I believe the banks instructions tell you to turn the pump up all the way. So that's more fuel you can burn turbo'ed

Last edited:

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
It's kind of sad when a turned-up IDI still can't reach stock PSD levels, especially when the original PSD was de-tuned from the factory by about 20 hp so it would have similar numbers to the turbo IDI.

That being said, I can gain an extra 140 hp just by flipping a switch 4 positions to the right on a chip that cost me $180. Beat that, IDI. (and yes, I have the supporting mods and injectors to back that up... and no, stock injectors on a PSD cannot reach those power levels).

If you want easy, stupid hp gains, stick with the Powerstroke. It'll cost you, but $ for $ the PSD will beat the IDI every time when it comes to power gains. Every time.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is true, the PSD will win hands down. But, as long as you don't get ridiculously power hungry, the IDI will out live the PSD 10 to 1.

60% of the time... It works every time

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
It is true, the PSD will win hands down. But, as long as you don't get ridiculously power hungry, the IDI will out live the PSD 10 to 1.

60% of the time... It works every time

I've never heard of a documented 1,000,000 mile IDI engine. I HAVE heard of documented 1,000,000 mile PSD's. It's all relative anyway. HP gains is not really a topic that really belongs in an IDI board, unless you're talking about hot rodding them... which is getting a little on the ridiculous side.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I have to investigate the torque comparisons, and check into the gear ratio on the two trucks I have! I guess I have to consider MPG,s and such as well! Glad you all are sparking an interest in research, as perhaps i can make a responsible decision for the first time in my life! Honestly, if huge horsepower was the goal here, I would stab the ole' Dt466 I've been sitting on for years into something! But reality is 185hp is probably sufficient for what I do, and theres just something about that damn idi that keeps me wanting one, no matter what kind of truck I have owned or built! Plus, I also have a 2k SuperDuty crew in the shop for long hauls! (my sunday go to meeting truck)

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of them, haven't seen one, but I can say mine had 600,000 when I pulled her out of a '91 to transplant into mine, and that was 150,000 miles ago

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
If 185 hp is your goal, then focus on the IDI and get yourself a good turbo, good IP and new injectors and call it a day. The PSD is an unnecessary evil in your life that will drain you of your bank account and will to live when it comes to cost of operating.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ideal goal in all honesty, was more like 230 range! But Torque does need to be factored! 185 will get the job done, but have gotten used to having the power available when towing, its hard to go that far backwards! Maybe I ougt to sell them all and join diesel fanatics anonymous! :confused:

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is going to be a silly of subject question, but, how do I edit my sig. I have not owned that truck in 6 years!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the last dyno sheet I saw for an IDI with cam, turbo, pump and injectors had 250 hp and 470 ft-lb. That is the exact setup that's in my truck and it weights 8200 dry and it still pulls pretty good. If I ditched the banks turbo and put a moose boost on it I would have much more power.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a documented IDI dyno from over on FTE. Not a ton of work done to it.

"Ok...

Got back on the dyno yesterday...

Swapped on the Stage 3 turbo, no changes, other than timing to 6*BTDC...

Ripped a 243/528 the first run.... Even better than I expected..

Then we swapped on the 190, and gave it about 20 runs.... Started having some little issues with valve train (Maybe pumped lifters??) and his lift pump relay was cutting out...

Still got to 350whp/778wtq... Which beats my trucks numbers...

The best part was with the 90cc pump, the truck was putting down over 500wtq with a constant load at 1700RPM.... With the 190, it was doing over 700wtq at a little over 1600RPM!.... Trailer towing torque right there...

I put a Youtube vid together, please ignore the advertising, I didn't wanna make a second vid just for the forums, so if a Mod feels like he needs to remove it, so be it...

R&D IDI Performance Dyno 11-19-14, Keith Olin's F250 - YouTube

We will get on the dyno again soon... This time the pump will have dynamic timing and hopefully push things over 400..."

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup, stock compression and everything. Cranked the head studs down, r&D cam, stage 1 inj fuel and turbo. Thats it.
Justin saw a 30 ft lb increase switching from stock to his stage 1 injectors.

Pump and turbo are the expensive pieces, if you can fab the rest is just time/effort.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the one we know about. Very surprised, since it's so easy, that nobody else has done it? Wonder if there is more to the story?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont think many have 3k laying around for a turbo and pump, 3.5k+ if you buy the piping from him..