Hp gains?

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Debating on selling my 94 powerstroke and fixing up my 92 Idi. I'm just curious what kind of hp is achievable with moose pump and injectors and such! I think I read in faq's it was around 205 or so on hp but not sure I'm reading it right! I'm not very efficient at the search anymore, way too many posts that pertain, just wondering about most current #'s. Thank you guys!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
300/600 pretty easy with cam, turbo, intercooler, studs and pump.
S400 BW turbo new is like 800 bucks, pump another 800+, studs 400, cam 200ish? Intercooler-50-100 from a powerstroke.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whp.
Stock injectors will achieve that. Its not like a powerstroke where there are a bunch of different sized injectors. Its basicaly stock, R&D stage 1s, or moose misters. I have the R&D ones. No idea on power but less than 300 as Im on a stock pump. The R&D have a different ground pintle which helps squeeze a bit more fuel in per stroke.

if you check around on FTE, there are a few threads of his with a customers car laying down over 400/900 (i believe its 900 trq, could be 800).

If you can fab, it will be relativaly cheap/easy. If not prepare to fork out some decent cash for the up and down pipes plus associated misc brackets etc.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, its much appreciated! I have a new set of BWD injectors that came with my 92, does anyone know anything about these?

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
200+/- 5 hp at the rear wheels is about 250 on the flywheel. Maybe a little more gets to the rear wheels with a manual vs an automatic. 300 at the rear wheels is pretty hard to achieve. Basically you hear a lot of talk about big numbers but IIRC, only one guy has produced a dyno sheet. Real world, with a fair bit on money expended as outlined above, you will make about 210 at the wheels, +/- 10. That is real world achievable with about $2K spent (double that at least if you are are starting with an NA). That assumes a solid engine as a starting point. Probably best to add studs, even if it's a 7.3L, and you will probably find something wrong when you pull the heads, so you will probably end up freshening up the heads in the process.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really, around 235 horse would be plenty sufficient! But from what your saying (PwrSmoke) Im going to have to invest around $4000 to achieve around 210, as I am N/A currently! Whoa! might have to keep the 94 stroker if thats the case! I really can't afford that kind of coin to get those #s! Not saying your wrong by any means, but I was under the impression that adding a turbo alone could get me right around 200 mark! Im going to have to really research this before making a decision! Thanks guys for being patient! I love these old Idi's, and used to frequent this site when I still owned the truck in my sig., but have not really kept up on the current research! Mel was just starting to do the moose pumps when I first joined OB and now there is so much info and new developments as far as options that it kinda makes this overwhelming! Thanks all who have exhausted time and money into research, it is greatly appreciated! But honestly, I could spend around $300 for a 6 position, for the 94, and have one heck of a good truck! Thought the Idi would be cheaper to maintain and modify, but sure doesn't seem so! Too bad, because I really want to make this Idi project a reality!

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And now you see the reality. IDIs are old tech and pound for pound, HP is pretty expensive. If you look at it beyond the prism of unconditional love, they are not Mr Spock's first logical choice for a cost effective diesel buildup. They were at one time but those days are gone.

By the way, when the first PSD truck came out in '94, a friend of mine bought one. He had liked my '86 with the Banks so went Ford for one time time in his life (he was a die-hard Chevy guy). Turned out my Banks-equipped '86 was faster than his stock PSD. Not by a huge amount but clearly faster. About six months later he had some mods and it was my turn to be handed my ass. I used to beat up the first generation Cummins Dodges going over the Rockies fem Glenwood to Denver too but it wasn't too many years into the '90s that I started keeping a lower profile.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i love my powerstrokes.
i wouldnt sell them for anything.

but...
my IDI's have no computers to read, no CPS's to go out, no ICP.s to mess with.
when the :fan: your IDI wont fail you.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I transplanted a first gen 12 valve into an 03 super duty a few years ago and was putting 400 to the ground with some pretty basic mods! That was one kid and several lifestyle changes ago! I was the guy blowing smoke all over the road with no load, basically giving these trucks a bad reputation! Now I'm settling into adulthood, and actually use my truck on a regular basis hauling cattle and horses! I like hp don't get me wrong! But I also am getting acclimated to quiet smooth, efficient power, with no maintenance headaches! I think maybe my midlife crisis may not require a hopped up Idi! Haha! But I might still be able to be persuaded!

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love my powerstrokes.
i wouldnt sell them for anything.

but...
my IDI's have no computers to read, no CPS's to go out, no ICP.s to mess with.
when the :fan: your IDI wont fail you.
This is my purpose.......

That, and if I can afford $20,000-$60,000, then I can afford sinking $10,000 to build a mildly powerful, good looking, reliable, comfortable truck

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is also important to look at the torque output of the engine, especially since HP is just mathematical calculation using TQ and current RPM.

What do you want to use the truck for and what are your goals? If you are looking for a powerhouse there are easier routes than the IDI. If you want something with decent power that will work hard and be easy/cheap to work on then the IDI is great....especially at the price tag you can get one for.

Depending on your route I think the $4000 for a non-turbo is a little high. IF you don't mind being thrifty and sourcing used/rebuilt part you could probably get away with less. I wonder what the whp/wtq # would be on an intercooled banks/hypermax kit with a maxed out pump and exhaust upgrade.

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pwrSmoke, yes with stock style turbos 200 is about all you will be hitting. But but a pump- one with 1.5 to 2x the stock fueling amount, and a turbo that was not engineered 30 years ago, and there is no reason to NOT make 300+ horse at the wheels. Quite a bit more expensive than just buying a used banks kit, but if you want to make real power, you gotta pay real bucks. Man, I really want to dyno my junk. I know i want to do an hx35/40 hybrid-mainly becuase I dont want to end up making a new downpipe, and with a 110 cc pump (evnetually) I hope to see 280+ hp.
Right now I think Im hovering around 250wheel horse.
Stock stock pump fuel curve friggin sucks man!

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading specs on a banks kit, claims 82 hp and 143 ft#'s gains! By my calculator that is around 260 range! Surely they Dino their results fairly extensively! I don't want any hot rod! And my goal too is to have a practical work truck with cheap maintenance! However, after spending $4000, and still not reaching stock 94 ps power, That's not only depressing, but kind of hard to believe! I too would like to see #'s on banks/hyper max with intercooler, and exhaust! Hmmmm!