How to verify injection pump/cam timing

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Silly putty is still around in the little plastic egg! don't stick as bad, I use it to check reverse engraving on molds.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
been there done that.
its damn near impossible to verify if the front cover is on.
some claim that they used a pick and felt the timing marks.
i call BS on that.
i fought with this very issue when i changed my first IP
ended up pulling the cover.
bore scope, pick, and counting method didnt work for me.

Both me and my buddy who's putting together a 6.9 wanted to double check the timing on his engine and we used a pick to locate the Y on the cam gear and it was easily felt since the gear is smooth elsewhere and the pick hung in the Y. Marked the two teeth the Y is between with a yellow paint marker to keep track of it while the IP gear cover was off. He ended up pulling the timing cover after that anyways and the marks I made were spot on. Maybe the Y was stamped a little deeper on his gear than it was on yours :dunno

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both me and my buddy who's putting together a 6.9 wanted to double check the timing on his engine and we used a pick to locate the Y on the cam gear and it was easily felt since the gear is smooth elsewhere and the pick hung in the Y. Marked the two teeth the Y is between with a yellow paint marker to keep track of it while the IP gear cover was off. He ended up pulling the timing cover after that anyways and the marks I made were spot on. Maybe the Y was stamped a little deeper on his gear than it was on yours :dunno

i dont know man, everyone has their own lill secrets, and level of ADD.lol
i must VISUALLY see stuff for myself.
my woman says im hardheaded, i call it extra armor

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are right you cant get a bore scope in the oil fil or in the tach sensor. I removed the mechnical fuel pump to block off and snapped a pic, i meant to pull plate off and see if i could get a bore scope in there to see marks. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20160325_211803_resized.jpg
    20160325_211803_resized.jpg
    767.9 KB · Views: 23