How to time an IP that doesn't have the 3/4" nub on the front?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm accustomed to turning my IP with a 3/4" open-ended wrench and turnbuckle. There is a square 3/4" nub on the front.

However, I'm currently using my backup IP from an old 6.9 while my regular IP gets checked out. That 6.9 IP has no nub on the front. I don't want to undo the injector lines if can help it, because in a van, it's a huge ordeal. Does anyone else have an IP without the timing nub?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I used a prybar against the side of the IP on mine. Hard to hold when tightening but it did the job.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I used a prybar against the side of the IP on mine. Hard to hold when tightening but it did the job.

wow. I didn't want to bust out the prybar against my IP, just in case I somehow warped the housing. I know the tolerances on these IP's are tiny on the inside.

gandalf

Reaction score
There actually is a tool made to rotate the IP. I'e seen one, and used it too. It is part of the set shown in the picture below. It's bottom center in the set, a longish handle with a crescent shaped end. The trick, the real trick, is to find one. Also, I believe one of our members made some at one time.

You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow. I didn't want to bust out the prybar against my IP, just in case I somehow warped the housing. I know the tolerances on these IP's are tiny on the inside.

I certainly wouldn't use excessive force! I placed the side of the prybar on the bolt hole where the TPS mounts on the driver's side.

If you aren't comfortable with it I certainly wouldn't push you, I simply answered the question you asked. I wished I had a wrench boss on mine!

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could you get one of those rubber oil filter removers around a round part and have someone turn it and hold it maybe?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There actually is a tool made to rotate the IP. I'e seen one, and used it too. It is part of the set shown in the picture below. It's bottom center in the set, a longish handle with a crescent shaped end. The trick, the real trick, is to find one. Also, I believe one of our members made some at one time.

Gandalf, what is the part number on that tool?

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Holy balls. That tool would be great. Something tells me I'd have to put a bend in it to make it work in the van. Basically, my 3/4" open-ended wrench barely fits on top of the IP nub to the underside of the van engine bay. So that IP Turning wrench would definitely be too big. But still cool to think that exists.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you aren't comfortable with it I certainly wouldn't push you, I simply answered the question you asked. I wished I had a wrench boss on mine!

No problem. I was just looking for different ways guys were turning their IP's, without a wrench boss. I appreciate your insight.

After using the wrench boss on almost all of my IDI's, I never knew how bad the non-nub IDI's were to work on. Took it for granted, that's for sure.

gandalf

Reaction score

The part number is unknown. I'm not at all sure that wrench, the one in the picture, can be purchased separately. The only way I can recall seeing it is as a part of that set. I can't recall the manufacturer, but somebody will have the name. That set, btw, is pretty pricey. As I mentioned, I think one of our members, in the midwest, has made some similar, perhaps a bit more stout. I can't remember his name either. That set is made specifically for the 7.3 3ngine.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I contacted Snap On and asked if they recognized any of the parts from that kit.

They said the larger wrench was part number SP60. I did a google search, and found the SP60 in cached images, but when you go to the link, it's busted.

Here is the cached image: (http://public.snapon.com/R_RRD/Objects_lg/images/SP60.jpg)

I wasn't able to find an SP60 for sale, and the Snap On guy said they discontinued it years ago.

As for the other wrench, he said, "The closest available is actually made by OTC under part number OTC7461." I looked up OTC7461, and it is out of stock but $500 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7461-Fuel-Injector-Rotating/dp/B00063X0S0

On amazon, it says:
  • Maximum fuel economy requires precise injector timing
  • The tool securely grips the front of the fuel injection pump so you can rotate it while fine-tuning the system
  • Works on Stanadyne rotary fuel pumps found on International's 6.9 and 7.3 liter engines
  • Similar to Ford No. 303-228 T83T-9000-C

So that's the mystery Ford part number.

I searched for that part number and found one for sale on Ebay for $200. Also I found it for $500 on another site. And for $160. Wow, here's one with a $200 discount down to only $490. I'm still not confident that would work on a van, because the handle is just way too long. I'm 99% sure it would clash with my rear heater core lines mounted to the underside of the van engine bay.

The Diesel Stop website has a write up about these luxury IDI tools here.

You must be registered for see images

These are really specialty items and I'm contemplating making my own with a piece of plate steel and a grinder. I'm not dropping $200-500 on a piece of metal that turns an IP a few degrees.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86