HOW TO = PARK - BRAKE REPAIR

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A ten-minute task turned into an all evening job, when my 1985 22-yr-old park-brake cable adjustment screw decided to twist in two.

Now, mind you, this isn't the first time it had been adjusted; in fact, I have had the adjuster-nut completely off and lubed the threads, a number of times in the past; so, I really don't know why it decided to freeze up and twist off.

Okay, here is how I fixed it with plain old hardware store stuff.

I was fortunate that, instead of breaking right at the end, I had been holding the threaded rod with Vise-Grips, so it broke leaving about an inch of threads.

I ran a 5/16-18 die over the remaining threads of the broken stub.

I RED-Loctited a 5/16 "coupler" nut, as far as it would go, onto the remaining threads.

A coupler-nut is a long nut, threaded all the way through, that's main purpose is in joining two threaded rods end-to-end, although they have a host of other creative uses.

A 5/16 coupler-nut is around 1-3/4" long; length will vary by manufacturer.

I RED-Loctited an appropriate length of 5/16 threaded rod into the opposite end of the coupler-nut.

I managed to get the adjuster-nut off of the broken rod.

I ran a 5/16-18 tap through the adjuster-nut.

I lost 1-3/4" of adjustment threads, taken up by the coupler-nut; but, the adjuster-rod is quite long, so I was okay.

I coated the new threads with anti-sieze and re-assembled everything.

One big surprise advantage that I gained is that now, instead of having to hold the adjuster-rod in a pair of Vise-Grips, I can hold it still by using a 1/2" wrench on the Loctited coupler-nut.

Now for some preventive maintenance.

Oil up your park-brake adjuster-nut with the knocker-loose of your choice.

After a few good soakings, try to remove the adjuster-nut; be sure to hold the back side, against the adjuster, with Vise-Grips; if you hold the fat flat piece instead, if it breaks, there won't be enough threads left to make a repair.

If it seems to be frozen, don't try any more, until you take a bottle-torch and lay the heat to the nut.

Once the nut is off, run a die over the threads and a tap through the nut, straightening and cleaning all the threads, good as new.

Take a coupler-nut and RED-Loctite it as far up on the adjuster rod as it will go.

Coat the remaining threads with anti-sieze.

Re-assemble and adjust everything.

Now, any future dealings with the park-brake adjustment will be much simpler.;Sweet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey that sounds like a great idea....bout the only thing I might try different is some time get that coupler nut brazed into place.

All in all a sounds like a great fix for what is usually a tough job anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online