How to line up oil cooler on reassembly

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I finally got the oil cooler out after fighting it all day. My dad and I were wondering if there is any trick to making sure it lines up correctly. I see that there is a tab on the oil filter header end that shows you how it needs to line up. There isn't such an obvious device for lining things up on the coolant end...anybody have any ideas? Thanks,
J.D.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question, if ya get it close can ya put one end in a vise and twist it a bit then check on a flat surface?

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine rencently, the end without the tab twisted quite easily once the new o rings were installed, mainly because of the vaseline lub. Just get it close and it will twist itself to the proper position when you tighten it up. Also, we used a press to get it toghther with the new o rings. It didn't really need the pressure of the press, but it had enough gap to fit the oil cooler in.

akoldnav

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a long pipe clamp to slowly slide mine back together. Allows you to snug it up 1/2 turn at a time, and wiggle twist to line it up while you're doing it. You'll feel a distinct "pop" when it slides together. If you're doin' it in the truck though, I'm not sure if you'd have the clearance, but make sure you don't put the rings in the header and then assemble it like the book says, put the rings on the tube, and slide it into the header....

Zigg :D

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I went to home depot and bought two of their largest quick clamps. That worked well for me, best part is, when you're done you can go return them. Just make sure you don't dirty them up. :D

Anyways, yeah, make sure to put the rings on the bundle and not in the header, you'll cut them every time. And a distinct popping together will be felt when you get it right. If you're cutting the rings or something you'll know that too, there will be a ton of resistance and no popping together feeling/sound.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I couldn't get mine to go on...I don't think I cut the o-rings but it's hard to say for sure. I will take it to a shop and let somebody try who knows what they're doing tomorrow. I pressed them on and there was no "pop" and tons of resistance. I put them on the bundle...NOT the endcap. Either way I don't know how you guys got them on, they are stubborn.
J.D.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
I had a fair amount of resistance on mine, I wouldn't say 'tons' though. No pop either. Don't really see how theyt would pop, no groove for them. What you could do is seal the openings and submerge it in water, look for air bubbles. Not quite the official test, but better than nothing!
James

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Why not just do a few trial runs. Press it all together to where you think it's good, then pull it back apart and inspect. If everything looks okay do it again, if everything is okay again, press it together and put it on and you'll be good to go. It was pretty tough to do I must say, it wasn't easy. That's why i got TWO clamps, you squeeze with one, hold with the other, then squeeze again, and so forth...

It took a good hour or two to get it, of course for a while we were putting the Orings in the header though and i had to run out and buy new orings.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe we gave up too soon. I had Ring Power press them together. It looks like they willbe OK. I may have to wait a day or two more for the official test though, I don't know how long it will take me to get the motor mounts lined back up and the PS pump on right, exhaust manifold shouldn't be too bad now that I got it started. We definitely need an authoritative writeup on this issue. I was going to do it, but seeing as how I have had a real rough go of it, I'd rather somebody who's been very successful do it.
J.D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726