How to increase RPM limit

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to up the RPM of the pump, I've gathered that its more than just swaping a spring and that theres actually 3 things that control this. I cant find the thread that this was origionally discused in, anyone know what I'm talking about?
Before I get the lecture about the engine not being able to handle it and throwing rods.... I'm not talking about trying to turn it 6K LOL

sassyrel

Reaction score
no, but, unless you have really messed with the internals--even with the hair dryer cranked--you out of the torque and hp range----serious--

should_i

Reaction score
well ill *try* to help haha. and if im wrong please correct me. but i was looking up injectors and try to upgrade them, more fuel=more power and maby a few extra rpm. i hope im not making a fool of my selft haha

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to change the "max" spring on the governor min/max assy. The spring for a 6.2 GM pump will get you in the 4k rpm range one from a 5.7 GM will get you approx 4400 rpm.

When you take the top off the pump you will see the min/max assy. It looks like a block and shaft with 2 springs on it. There is also a 3rd spring inside of it. The shorter spring is the min/idle spring the longer one is the max/ redline spring. If you take it apart you can change the max spring. Just be sure to count the turns on the guide pin and on the governor assy. as you disassemble. They have to be reassembled the same number of turns as those are also adjustments that will effect drivability.

I ran the 6.2 spring in my old hauler for many many miles and noticed no long term harmful effects. Ken at DPS "claimed" that the factory balance on the motor is good to 4000 + RPM.

When loaded heavy and mergeing in traffic I would shift at nearly 4k. I can tell you that 4000 rpm 12 lbs boost shifts sound wicked thru the stacks.:D

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I wanted to know, I knew there was a couple springs and a threaded rod just didnt remember what did what.
This is for the 6.9 build-up I'm doing. The current pump has 6.9 fuel settings but has been turned up.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody got any pictures to go with these instructions anywhere? The descriptions are good, but like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. I'd sure like to be able to increase the max RPMs on mine - it seems to top out at about 3000-3500...