How to check motor mounts?

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like the title says I’d like to know if there’s any way to check whether my motor mounts are bad. I’m replacing a zf5 transmission with a cracked housing, and I’ve heard that bad motor and transmission mounts can be partly to blame. I’m putting in a new transmission mount with the replacement transmission, but I don’t know if the motor mounts also need replacing. Here’s a picture of the cracked tail housing for those curious:
You must be registered for see images attach

rvitko

Reaction score
When I had my ZF5 out to change the clutch I took it to a transmission shop to be resealed and checked and the guy told me these cracks are a design flaw on 4x4 models, it has to do with the transfer case weight just hanging there unsupported and rough offroad conditions. Mine was good, but he said they were notorious for it and recommended finding a way to gusset the tail end up or support the t case if I planned much offroad use. I don't do any crazy driving so I am not to worried about it, I do take a lot of dirt roads, but I am not speed jumping bumps and ruts.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like what that guy recommend. But to check motor mounts, I'd hook a cherry picker to the motor and just lift it up and see if they're attached. If you're uncertain just go on and replace them while the transmission is out, it's an insurance policy. Oorrrrrrr..... like the other day I worked on a guys truck with a 300 6cyl and I told my son's to watch the engine and tell me what way it goes when I pop the clutch. It went hard to the right so I replaced the broken mount on the passenger side.

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are soaked in oil/have cracks or if you put a pry bar in between and pry on them and they visually separate i'd replace them. Same with the trans mount. They are pretty cheap. I think I paid 10 bucks for my last transmission mount.

gusty

Reaction score
How I have always checked for broken motor mounts: Put vehicle in gear. Step on brake pedal as if emergency stopping. Rev engine quickly and briefly, what used to be called 'goose it'. You will know if you need motor mount(s) or not immediately. If you need one, replace both at the same time.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I forgot to chime in when I first saw this, my dad's first idi had a Zf5 with a similar crack, but we chocked it up to the person we bought the truck from originally used it to tug a semi out of a snow bank. And by tug I mean really yank on it, and shocked the trans into breaking. Was in 4x4.
We drove it for years with that crack, and all it did is seep atf, until we finally replaced the whole trans.