How To: Add a timer to manual glow plug switch

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have manual glow plugs. I have a pushbutton switch that controls them. I added a timer circuit that turns them on for 10 seconds. There is a toggle switch to toggle between the timer circuit and having manual control. I no longer have to hold the button for 10 seconds when starting the truck.

The timer circuit is a generic FRM01 Relay module. The instructions provided are usually terrible, included is a PDF that had some decent ones.

The mode I used works as follows:

When power is applied, nothing happens. When a +12v signal is applied to the CH1 connection, the timer turns the relay on, thus turning the glow plug relay on, for ten seconds. It then turns off and waits until the next signal arrives.

The specific mode I used was 12. The timer was set for 10 seconds. Follow the instructions in the PDF or with whatever FRM01 module you purchase.

I also turned on the automatic power saving mode by holding the NUM+ button down for 10 seconds. This circuit draws somewhere around 3mAh in standby as a result. It is close to 7-8 mAh otherwise.

The manual pushbutton has power coming in and then going out to the Glow Plug Relay. Instead this output now goes to a ON-ON toggle switch. That switch is connected to the Glow Plug Relay on one side of the switch, the other side provides the +12V signal that CH1 of the relay board wants to see. If you want an off position then get an ON-OFF-ON switch.

Hopefully the pictures, as well as the provided explanation, makes this idea presentable and useful.

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Timer-Relay-Module--FRM01--User-Manual.pdf
    798.2 KB · Views: 2

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have a friend who had a remote start on his 1997 PSD while his wife was driving it. It had some type of timer or a delay to let the glow plugs cycle before engaging the starter. It may have been similar to this.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a excellent idea. Press starter button, it cycles for a time then starts up. It would be easy enough to implement. If there is interest I can cobble together something.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I did forget to mention that it has a 4R100 transmission. A ZF5 would add another set of variables to the equation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online