How soon do I need a new IP?

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am on my way to Rapid City South Dakota towing a 36ft 8000lb travel trailer. I pulled into the New Frontier campground in Presho, South Dakota to spend a couple of days here.
I pulled into our spot and shut the truck off while I looked over what needed to be done to set up the trailer, and when I tried to restart the truck it just cranked and wouldn't fire up.
I poured water over the IP to cool it off and the truck started right up after ward. The truck has over 160,000 miles on it and I've read on here that this is a sign the IP is worn out.
What do you think I should do?

I've just retired and my wife and I just bought the travel trailer in March to full time rv in until we find a place to settle down and finances are tight right now.
James

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start looking for a new IP. That's about the outer limit. From years of reading about these, I'd say 150k is average.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday
Once ice water is required it's gone.
Salvage this core now for a rebuild, and @100-125k they start to get weak, but "that guy"has 200k+ on his .. Type of story wont hold water here...

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'll start looking for a replacement in the morning.
James

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After looking online for a replacement IP it looks like I will have to order one from Autozone or Orielly's in Rapid City which is another 165 miles or from Orielly's in Pierre which is 50 miles away.
Do you think I could make to either place before the IP quits completely? Or should I try to find one in a junkyard? That is if I could even find one nearby.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are on the road and don't have the time or the money to wait for a IP from the good guys. I just need something to get us back on the road and will get a good IP once we are somewhere we can stay while waiting for the better IP.
James

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are the ONLY safe places to buy from.
Limp it along till you can get one of the good vendor's to send one.
it will just keep degrading.

just read your last post..
well if you're ok with that it will make life easier

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are on the road and don't have the time or the money to wait for a IP from the good guys. I just need something to get us back on the road and will get a good IP once we are somewhere we can stay while waiting for the better IP.
James
You've got more time than you think. How long have you had this pickup? If it's been with you a while and just started doing that then figure out when you'll be stationary and get a good IP then. If you just bought the pickup and it already had this issue, same story.
It's not the end of the world, just means it's time for a new one. I've had two IPs that wouldn't hot start and both of them went months like that before I got a replacement. And they were both still running fine cold and never failed. This was on a daily driver +weekend work pulling a trailer. So I would guess I put more miles on mine than you do.
I would definitely not spend the money on a poorly rebuilt unit from a chain store. You should be able to get an IP shipped to you without sending the core in first, at least I know Wes used to do that, he may still. You'd have to pay the core charge but that's standard, and would get it back when you send in your core. Dunno about the other 3 quality rebuilders listed above.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can limp by until you can get a good pump, the money you would have spent on a “temporary” chain store pump could get you a set of quality injectors as well.

Perhaps someone here has a spare working pump that’s close enough that ups ground could have it to you within a day or two. Even if you just keep it with you as a spare so that you know you don’t get stranded.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am trying to find a place we can afford to stay for the rest of the month in the Rapid City area so I can have the time to take care of this problem.
Just a FYI, my father bought this truck used back around 1999 and I have had it since 2002. It has been a pretty reliable truck but it's age is catching up with it. I've spent about $5000
this past year fixing the front end, replacing the vacuum pump, replacing the radiator, and other minor stuff.
James

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With that history save some grief and run it as is and get a good ip soon,.

btw
put the rigs stats in yer sig line so we can see what we are working on.
edit I see them now...

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am trying to find a place we can afford to stay for the rest of the month in the Rapid City area so I can have the time to take care of this problem.

Lots of free camping areas around Rapid City if you don't mind being off grid. Go open a USPS PO box if you need one to get mail/packages. You'll have to pay for 6 months but if you close it before 90 days you will get refunded half of it. There's a refundable key deposit too.

Last edited:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certainly someone on here knows a way to fudge this and make it so it will give him some time. Could he run a mix of diesel and some sort of cheap oil to increase the viscosity of the fuel to get him by? Motor oil is expensive, but would something like that mixed in the oil help it run when hot?

He could experiment and see what ratio works the best, and not spend too much money, till life was a little kinder and he had time to get it rebuilt correctly.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a interesting video. In the middle of the video he take his pump to a place that rebuilds pumps. Looks like they are in the middle of the country, possibly not too far away to get there. Don't know if any of the other guys are closer. I would try to make it to a shop that would rebuild the pump and install and time it also. Unless you have the special stuff needed to time it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online