how much weight is too much

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Another question. Where will you find "bumper pull" hitch rated for 15,000#?

As far as a truck to handle the weight, I would suggest a medium duty dump truck such as a International 1700 or Ford F750, and carry the load in the bed.

Uh, I have one! Not for sale, but they are out there. I use mine all the time, but not at 15,000...:)

Also have to keep in mind that you are talking 15,000 lbs. of payload, add another 3,000 to 5,000 on top of that for a trailer capable of hauling it. Mine is capable, but would net you about 18,500 loaded!

timntools

Chief Runinscissors
Reaction score
pulling @24~25k behind my 05' treefiddy(350) was too much to slow down.

picked up a 91 Ford L8000 dual tandem dumper in KY for 9000 delivered and full of fuel to nashville. I'll post some picks.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Semi trucks have spring brakes. If a brake line breaks, the brakes apply and the truck stops.

Granted brakes can wear out, but drivers are required by law to inspect their brake shoes daily for wear.

This is only half right a semi has 2 air lines one supplys air and realeases the spring brakes the other line is empty and charges only when you step on the brake pedal to activate your service brakes. So if something happens to the service line but the spring brake line stays intact you can have a break problem and never know it till you go to use them

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
What transmission and gears do you have? If you have 4.10s, a good transmission cooler if its automatic, and trailer brakes I would go for it with what youv'e got. I am assuming you are talking gooseneck, not bumper pull.

The superduty 250s and 350s are rated for 20,000lbs gross combined, and you wouldn't be far from that.
But she'll be slow, thats for sure. especially if you have an automatic.

ok 15000 of hard wood at least 4000 for a trailer and 6500-7500 for truck your looking at a gross of 26,000 way over the recomendations and in CDL teritory. I think you could pull the load and I have and some even bigger but not everyday your truck can handle it but the problem is you never know what someone else will do and do you wanna take the risk that you'll have to pay for somebody elses mistake when they pull out in front of ya and you plow them over

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the problem is you never know what someone else will do and do you wanna take the risk that you'll have to pay for somebody elses mistake when they pull out in front of ya and you plow them over
good point, If you had to do it often larger drums and discs would be appropriate. (attached to a larger truck)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
This is only half right a semi has 2 air lines one supplys air and realeases the spring brakes the other line is empty and charges only when you step on the brake pedal to activate your service brakes. So if something happens to the service line but the spring brake line stays intact you can have a break problem and never know it till you go to use them

Yeah, but you can always pull the plug and dynamite the trailer brakes real quick if the tractor brakes aren't going to make it, but that's one heck of a ride, especially going down a steep tight curvy hill. Been there done that got the friggen Tshirt :eek:

He's in Canada, so it's anybodies guess on this side of the border what their regs are for that sort of thing.

------Robert

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a "bumper pull" you are good to 10k trailer gvw PROPERLY EQUIPPED.
With a 5th wheel or gooseneck, you are good to 15k trailer gvw.
You cannot exceed 26k gcvw or 41.5 overall length with a class "C" license.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that CDL was required for anything over 26,000lbs gross, no matter how its pulled, stacked or attached to the truck...otherwise as per DOT regs you were good to go. However some states(Florida is one) require trailer brakes for any trailer over 3000lbs(trailer and load). And that in any case you can't go over you're sticker GCVWR or the one on your registration. Am I in error?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I just got energetic and dug around the regs for Canada and for New Brunswick, you're limited to 9920.79 Pounds ( 4500Kg ) for a trailer, no specific limit listed for the truck weight, basic license requirements "Permits the operation of any two- or three-axle motorhome or a towed vehicle which is registered up to and including 4,500 kg gross weight behind a motor vehicle or motorhome."

---------Robert

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that CDL was required for anything over 26,000lbs gross, no matter how its pulled, stacked or attached to the truck...otherwise as per DOT regs you were good to go. However some states(Florida is one) require trailer brakes for any trailer over 3000lbs(trailer and load). And that in any case you can't go over you're sticker GCVWR or the one on your registration. Am I in error?
Nope.
there is a uniform gross combined weight and overall length restriction.
Of course....there is an exception to the rule(as always) "recreational vehicles" are exempted from the rule. You can thank the AARP crowd for this one. But they are still held to the design limits for their vehicle though. A friend of mime was busted in WA state port of entry. His kali ok'd '86 F250 supercab had a dualie conversion kit and he was pulling a 13k grossed fiver. WA DOT had the spec books for the truck and determined he was over the design limits. His vacation was cut short as a result.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Where will you find "bumper pull" hitch rated for 15,000#?

Look at most equipment trailers hauling small dozers & backhoes etc around town.

The load in my avaitor was behind an F250 (yes modified a bunch) #55 rears are not good to haul with I have a low mileage C6 siting in my ole F250 out back.It was done by aa guy in NH that did all my transmission s for years.It chatters in 1st gear as it stsrts to move-to high a gear for 355s would be a nice trans with a new 1st gear clutch pack.Still will pull a good load Just chatters. But they are all right 3 cord of wood behind an F250 is too much -I did wood yeras ago when I was in my 20's if U haul 3 cord of green wood u have more than 15000 lbs. My 2 bits.

Last edited:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found that the Canadian CDL regs more-or-less mirror the U.S. ones, with weights converted to metric and rounded.

In any case I think we can call agree that 15K load plus trailer plus truck would put the total combined weight over 26K.

Personally the thought of that kind of weight on the road behind a pickup truck gives me the heebie jeebies.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally the thought of that kind of weight on the road behind a pickup truck gives me the heebie jeebies.

Me too! I have never pulled that much weight but I will say a properly set up trailer makes all the differance in the world. I cannot imagine that Kind of weight behind My IDI.:dunno

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, I have told the story before, but will again...I pulled a 15,000 lb dozer on my old trailer (purchased a new one since with heavier GVW) and the trailer weighed 3050 lbs. There is nothing flat here and the brakes on truck were new and trailer functioning well. I only pulled it on back roads and for a few miles, but let me tell you, the stopping distance alone scared heck out of me and I was NEVER over 35 MPH! Not that I couldn't do more, but that I wouldn't. A buddy bought the dozer from my neighbor and I hauled it about 20 miles for him. I was impressed at how well my setup hauled it, but would never do it and feel safe about it daily. I have a 15,000 lb hitch, weight distributing setup for 14,000 lbs and the dozer was able to be moved around on the trailer to get the weight over the axles the way it needed to be, not so easy with wood. At any rate, they'll do it, but I don't think anyone thinking right would recommend it! :)

I wouldn't want that much weight behind me on a 5th wheel/gooseneck either, but I bought the heaviest "Quality S" hitch I could buy (15,000 lb WD) hitch and never looked back, well, I did look back, but I didn't really need too, the weight shoving me forward was assurance enough I still had a load! The same dozer was hauled behing a SRW F250 for 6 miles, 460 engine and the guy was scared to death to bring it back to it's owner, so I did. When they loaded the dozer on his trailer, it lifted the back wheels of his truck off the ground...I think that made him a little smarter about moving it around. They have a tree trimming business and have since purchased a tri-axle trailer and a dump to pull it around with, so it is a safe haul these days.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I see people hauling dozers and other equipment with f250's and 350's around here a lot. Stuff you know is ust too heavy for their truck to safely be pulling. It is scary. I always get out of their way as quickly as I can! When you have a dually suspension squashed down to the stops with a dozer on the trailer, you know it isn't safe. But there are guys that do it anyway.cookoo