how much is too much

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
well seeing how some of you have matched my load, I feel a bit better. Its amazing to me... the 350 means 2000lb capacity. and yet it held much more. I wonder what they really design the axles to hold??? If you divide my 13000 by 2 axles, that is 3 tons on just the rear axle. However, I don't think the weight was distributed evenly... Its hard to add weight to the front axle when its sitting on top of the rear.

Axles ratings on an F-250 are something like 6084lbs (exactly the load capacity of two load range E 235/85R16's) and I think the F-350s (maybe DRW's, I'm not sure) are a smidge over 8000lbs, so as long as your tires weren't overloaded and properly inflated, your probably good. You were however, well over your GVWR, but not your GCWR if you would have been trailering...

jactoy4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFG all terrains... load D

im only replying to this out of not wanting to hear about anything bad happening.

out of PERSONAL experience i will never ever run BFG ats again. ran them on my buddies tahoe and watched a front blow out randomly on the freeway (almost pitching and rolling the rig). ran them on my old s-10 and as well had a front catastrophically explode (belts and everything exited the tire) on the freeway (destroying my fender and inner well) then ran a set on my buddies old 76 high boy towing a chevy on a flat bed again watching it randomly explode running the freeway(this time on the rear passenger).

Not trying to be a rant and raver, not :puke: on anyones parade just my two cents. be careful with them.

jw2644

Reaction score
Look at the sticker on the driver's door. It will tell you the GVW of the truck.That's the weight of the truck and load combined. The weights you're talking about, it sounds to me that you are way over gross.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A big factor in determining GVRW is what the parking brake will hold. You'd of been SOL if you needed it to hold your truck still on an incline, and if you used your parking pawl in the trans to hold it, I'd cringe at the thought of the effort required to release it.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
You should definatley have class E's on a 350. Even my class E's are boarderline because 2 of them were made in 1970!!! At least thats what the 4 digit number indicates.

My LT315/75R16 tires are a load range "D" and handle just fine on my F350 CC. The amount of weight I can haul on them isn't as highly rated as a load range "E", but after working for Les Schwab, Wal-Mart, and Jake's Truck Stop as I tire repair man, I learned a few things about the tires. A load range "E" will hold more weight than a load range "D". There are really only two differences in the comparision of the "E" and "D" tires. The "E" has 2 more plys, and can hold more air pressure. There is nothing that can be done about the number of plys the tire has meaning the "E" rated tire will always be able to handle more weight. Both "E" and "D" tires must be filled to max. air pressure to handle to weight that they are "rated" to haul for the reason of air volume (more air means less sidewall "play", and less sidewall "play" means less heat to the plys of the sidewall - reducing blowout chances). The "E" is rated to hold 80 psi cold. The "D" is only rated to 50 psi. cold, but this can be used to an advantage. Once you start running larger tires (as in my case), you now have the air volume, as well as the air pressure, coming into play. Compared to the amount of air in a "E" rated 235/85R16 @ 80 psi. cold, I actually have more air volume in my 315/75R16 tires @ 50 psi. cold. The tire has be aired to max. air pressure so that the tire will not "belly" under the weight. The "E" has the 2 extra plys to be able to handle to extra air pressure to increase the air volume in the tire (a semi tractor and trailer tire is only rated to 100 psi. cold). I hope this helps in some way.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
Just put some 19.5" wheels and rubber, and be done with it... But like Mel said, next issue becomes brakes. These trucks can get some seriously heavy stuff rolling, but getting it stopped and keeping it that way is a whole new ballgame.

zukinut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 8600 lbs on the bed of this

You must be registered for see images attach

and it just rode better, true it used to a be a rollback but its still just an f350. Our trucks will haul way more than the brakes can stop, just remember that.

Will

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8600... dammm impressive.. Yes schwab would not put on anything but Load E. tires. I found an awesome deal on these ATs and so on they went. I dont load it often, but its the once in a while that will get ya.

Last edited:

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i had an 83 f150 one time i found out i had a hair over 1500lbs in when i went to the scrap yard and it took it like a champ...

the ford 80-96 trucks are just tough trucks....nuf said... proff is in how many you still see on the road

sootman73

Reaction score
i hauled in scrap steel with my truck. had 2,000 in the bed and 4,000 on the trailer(not including the trailer) with the 2,000 in the truck it didn't even make a difference in how it rode. it was pretty awesome. i've put more weight on my truck than that and you'd be really surprised at how little my truck sags.

but heres the next project after my trans. i'm putting a rear axle and springs in my truck from an ambulance(gotta change the gears from mine). nice part is that its limited slip and the ambulance has a 11,000lb GVWR!

DragRag

Reaction score
I had a dry 11" camper that weighed 2989 according to the sticker on it. I wonder what is weighed wet and loaded? I'd guess 4000# atleast, and maybe more. With a truck load of 5 passengers and gear I am sure that truck hauled in excess of 5500# plus the 4000# ski boat. Gotta leave plenty of room in front of you hauling that much around.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
7K in just the bed sounds like quite a bit, considering typically one yard of crushed rock weighs in at 2700 lbs, so that's about two and a half yards. You'd be surprised though how much weight gets transfered to the front axle when loaded like that. I scale mine fairly regularly when cutting firewood (if my DOT friends are NOT at the roadside scale :angel: ) and a measly 1700 lbs of firewood in the bed, 500 of that was added to the front axle. I couldn't imagine how 7000 pounds would distribute :)