How much fuel do you carry on board

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hundred gallon transfer tank computer controlled and a 38 gallon OEM. Both are MT, just running off the fumes for the last hundred miles. :sly

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Doesn't hauling all that additional fuel compromise fuel economy?

When you're already hooked up to at least 10k worth of trailer, the extra 910 pounds kind of becomes a moot point, really once you throuw a few thousand on the beast really doesn't see much extra, it's kind of a sliding scale in the way weight effects fuel consumption. THe shape of the trailer eats more fuel than weight does. My car hauler loaded weighs 4k+ more than my 5er but I get WAY better fuel mileage pulling the thing because it's a few feet lower and has a pointed nose.
The bigger fuel tank allows me to plan ahead and purchase fuel only where it is the cheapest, and fill up there which saves a fortune, and not having to stop as often also saves in fuel, you would be surprised how much fuel is wasted getting off and back on the interstate chasing fuel. THe factory tanks on these things are quite frankly dinky for someone who is used to really getting out and driving. I used to find the stock capacity downright annoying having to pull over to fill up all the time, not to mention everyime I'd get the young'uns to sleep, I'd have to pull in and get fuel and they'd wake up again, and it'd be a 45 minute delay while everyone decided they suddenly had to do everything :rolleyes: a 6 hour trip would take 10-12 hours.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1985 cab-chassis PLASTIC original factory issue rear tank came factory-equipped with a full-coverage skid-plate.

I had always just thought that they all had the skid-plates. :dunno
Nope, only 4x4 trucks had the tank shields. 2wd front tanks have a plastic nose-cone shield, but that's it. 4x4 trucks to my knowledge have both a full front shield and a full rear shield. My truck rarely ventures off the paved roads mainly due to its 8+ ft width, but still I would like to have some added protection under there...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THe factory tanks on these things are quite frankly dinky for someone who is used to really getting out and driving.

>>> AGREED <<< ;Sweet

I tend to take for granted being able to go half across the country before thinking about fuel.

When it really begins to show is when I have occasion to haul cattle in convoy with one or more other goose-neckers who don't have bigger tanks; I spend half my time waiting for them at the pumps.

Recently, myself and another guy made two back-to-back trips of around 250-miles round-trip; I had already made one round by myself the night before without fueling.

I finished the job and could have went again on the fuel I had left, while he had to fuel coming and going on every load. ;Really

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
I went from Montana to Indianapolis to Memphis and almost back to KC before I had to refuel :D but diesel here is $3.40 a gallon. compared to $3 down south.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on what truck I am driving as to how much fuel I carry on board. If it's the work truck anywhere between 2800 and 3000 gallons. If it's my truck usually no more than a quarter tank at a time unless I am going out of state. At that time I will carry a full tank plus about 20 gallons depending on the price in the state I am going to. If I could save 25 cents a gallon from having to buy fuel in the other state then it's worth it for me to carry the extra 20 gallons.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Put it this way, no one's ever stopped me :D I've got a 150 gal side tank off a Volvo semi truck mounted perminantly in the bed with a set of tank straps ( got one strap with a step on it so it's easier to get up on the roof when I need to get in the roof top carrier)

ask mel about the tank--in the front of my truck bed!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent