How many of you guys

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey, Talltimber, that is some set of wheels. what is that thing anyway? Do you go over the road with it? I'd hate to have to pay the tolls on that many axles! I go "up Maine" from time to time with a tractor trailer behind a ten wheel wrecker, and that just about breaks the bank. I thought I had some rubber on the road. I think 8 or 9 axles is the most I've ever pulled. We hauled a piece of machinery out of New York the other day, only about 14k but it was valued at over a million dollars.

Talltimber

Reaction score
As much as hate to admit it, that style of trailer was invented in euorpe (one of the few things they learned to do right, having spent several years over there working i can tell you that is one of the only things they learned) The neat part about those trailers is that each set of 2 duals steers. and each set of 2 duals has a very large hydralic cyclinder to raise and lower the trailer. it allows us to back the trailer under a load and raise it to haul hight. The trailers are like an erector set and can be added to and subtracted from to suit any load weight or size. The largest i have ever operated was 42' wide and 220' long the load we hauled weighed 3650 ton (which at that time was the largest load ever hauled by a tractor trailer combination) and it was lifted to haul height by the single 31 HP Duetz diesel that runs the hydralics (hydralics are truley amazing). We had 2 Hendrikson DPM360 Primemovers pulling it (truck weight 360,000# +200,000 counter weight, power VT1710 twin turbo Cummins (750HP and god only knows how much torque) some of the smaller loads (the one pictured) are hauled over the road, that load went through downtown Willsonville, OR at 04:30. we pulled it with the SX45 Mack w/16V71 Detroit, woke about 40,000 sleeping people, it was cool. If I have time next week I will scan some pic's of other big loads and upload them for all to see.

NOGM

Reaction score
Yep. I drive a Yellow and Purple (not my choice) 2002 Peterbilt 379 Ext Hood Transfer locally (mostly) with a C12 Cat, 13sp Fuller, American Class interior with all the bells and whistles. I've got my Nathan P-3 Train Horn mounted under the bed (for lane changing purposes). Only weighs 80 grand loaded, so I guess it aint really a "Big truck", but call it what you may.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Originally posted by NOGM
Only weighs 80 grand loaded, so I guess it aint really a "Big truck", but call it what you may.

That's a big truck where I come from. Talltimber is in a league All his own:hail :hail .

Scott

Talltimber

Reaction score
Originally posted by NOGM
I've got my Nathan P-3 Train Horn mounted under the bed (for lane changing purposes). Only weighs 80 grand loaded, so I guess it aint really a "Big truck", but call it what you may.

hey nogm. i started hauling logs at 78 grand. didn't mean to insult anyone. i tryed otr and couldn't handle it, to many fools on the roads, so i went to the kind that use flags cars to keep the idiots away from us. i still remember my first trip to LA from Portland (the nightmares still come) mine meabe bigger but yours are way better looking and much more comfortable than mine. i am however proud of what i have done (course i have no hearing left from those cabs that are so well designed for human beings, the engineer's thought that humuns were to stupid enough to drive them) boy doesn't say much for me does it
have a good one, later

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Re: Big Rigs

Originally posted by Talltimber
Started hauling logs in the early 60's in an old Mack with a 6 cyc Mack and a tri-plex trans (the old timers will know what that is)

Hey, I resemble that remark..........:thumbsup: (and I ain't that old, yet)
'59 B model, 673 n/a, triplex

Yup, just a weekend warrior but I have FUN :Thumbs Up

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Freighty!!! :)

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Thanks Dukey.....;)

GRuss led me astray.........and here I yam.....:shoot:
Just lurk'n around :love:

AgoodAmerican

Reaction score
Well if they built it I drove most of them,one time or another. I drive for a fright com. now. I run from Phx AZ. to Desert Center Ca. 5 days a week. 6 1/2 hrours a day. Home every night. Been at this gig for 7 years. Before that I was all over the place. All the way to alaska down to key west. Best truck was a new Western star worst truck GMC ******* box. Now I drive a 04 volvo day cab. But gald I don't work as hard. :Thumbs Up

I'll try to find some pics of a old autocar I drove for a guy in Ohio. It looked like a pimp mobil only bigger. Fox tails and allLOL

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
A screamin' Jimmy :yell:

Cool!

There is a guy in PA that is selling his after like 35 yrs of driving it daily. Not that's dedication LOL

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Good American,

Nice to see you here. Keep on coming back!!!

Freightrain,

Any chance we can get your '59 Mack pictures up on the site? That thing is way cool! :cool

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GRuss,

I didn't realize you were here, too. How's it going?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online