How many miles to a tank??

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious if any of you have set your trip ODO when you fill up and see how many miles you get on a tank---namely, the rear tank. Sending unit is dead, and I have a new one on order, and will probably put it in sooner rather than later, but might need to guesstimate on my fuel consumption.
Clearly, mileage varies, but conservatively, how far you reckon I could go on a fill-up?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well so let's say your truck makes 14 mpg and you have a 19 gallon tank. That gives you a theoretical range of 266 miles. That would be in a perfect world where showerheads grab the last tiny bit of fuel and filler hoses and vent work properly allowing filling of the entire tank. So we all know the world ain't quite that perfect. I'd say after 200 miles I'd be looking for a green pump.

On my truck, I have just the rear tank, like you. My gauge does work fortunately, but I try not to let it get below 1/4 tank, just in case I all of a sudden have showerhead issues........I know, I know, pull the bed and fix the pickup already! LOL

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, yes. The showerhead. That's another unknown variable. I'm going to assume it's in pieces at the bottom of the tank.