How many miles on your 6.5?

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Joey,
Did you get that turbo master on yet? I just did mine and I'm really happy with it. It woke it up and its nice to be able to keep the boost pressure steady, instead of watching the gauge bounce all over. It did throw a code a couple times, but the SES light goes out after a while, I havent got around to scanning it yet. Probably just reading the higher boost and trying to compensate. I dont want to go too high yet until I get the ECM to increase the fuel and timing. It was a piece of cake to install. It was definitely worth the $65 bucks. I'm glad I didnt spend all the money on the electronic one.
Later, Dan

dodgeman01

TOWN DRUNK
Reaction score
My uncle has a 97 6.5 auto 2x4 king cab 3500. Its a nice looking truck and The inside is really nice. it has around 120k and has had 3 injection pumps started and a steering box. other than that it has been a good truck. Only reason for selling it was the lask of power and really hard starts in winter.
DM01

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had to hazard a guess as to why so many 6.5s have had fuel pumps replaced, it would go something like this: GM warranties pump out to 120,000 miles or 11 years, which is a pretty long time. PMD is prone to failure. When PMD fails and truck starts puking, owner brings it to GM dealer. GM dealer does not want to spend time diagnosing the actual problem, and only get small reimbursement from factory, so they tell owner injector pump is bad, change it along with the PMD for a cost of over $2000, and off you go with a good running truck again. I learned about this from two different guys who work at two different GM dealers. Makes sense to me. This also works on 6.5 trucks that are not out of warranty, where the owner is going to have to pay real money from his own pocket.
Kind of like replacing the motor because the starter is bad.

Camstyn

hoser
Reaction score
My lift pump bit the green ****** on Thursday with the odo just shy of 150k miles. First fuel related issue, here we go!

DetroitDan I think you're right, 90% of the time it's just the PMD.

Talltimber

Reaction score
258,000 miles 1993 GMC K3500 Dually, 2 motors (down for the 3rd now) both of the motors have lost #8 piston, 3 injection pumps, 2 transmissions, 1 front end rebuild. Other than the motor has been a great truck. I am considering converting it to a 5.9 CTD/6 speed. Don' have much faith in the 6.5. As with all my equipment it was well maintained throughout its life, but just seemed to have motor troubles. The 4L80E is a good transmission, i got 165,000 out of the 1st one and the rebuilt was still going strong when the motor blew, it could probably stand to be freshened up, but is still going. I liked the pickup and would rather drive it than my new Dodge as it is more comfortable and handles better. Meabe when I get the CTD in it I will let my 18 yr old drive the Dodge and I'll take to old Jimmy back.

fix

Reaction score
93 2500 here 4x4 stick tranny 208,000. 2-radiators, 2--starters, replace head gaskets @ 89,000. 1--set of glow plugs & glow plug controller, 1--water pump, now needs exhust & down pipe,

Short Circuit

Reaction score
Speedo quit working a couple of years ago @ 389,000, 3 injection pumps (2 probably due to failed PMD's), 1 set of injectors, 2 sets of glow plugs, she's getting a little tired, doesn't like to start on -20F mornings. Last PMD replacement I devised a aluminum (2"x2" angle) mount on the plow hitch, added 74" of wire to the PMD wiring and mounted the PMD out in front. Problem solved. In the summer she loves a 50/50 blend of SVO/Diesel. Runs quieter and seems to make more HP.

clackmaster

Reaction score
my 98 has 320 000 km, with one ip due to pmd failure in 99, one lp a few moths ago, one set of injectors and gps, and its the original motor and trans, t case and diffs which seems to be rare around here, and the old girl is still on full sythetics and does not eat or drip a dot of engine oil, now tranny is another story:backoff

dracor85

Reaction score
My 95 K2500 ext cab long box has 204,000mi trans went at 194,000mi other wise has been good other than regular maintence. my dads suburban K2500 has 182,000mi and has been pretty trouble free

Justin

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7