how good are the ZD9 glow plugs for manual button systems??

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
Do I need to worry about ZD('s on my truck I havent got them yet, but I put a manual button on it, and it worked great till the relay crapped out. 1990 f350 7.3 diesel 95,420 miles

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear that the bosch glowplugs work better for manual push button systems but I wouldn't see why you couldn't use zd9's.
Warning: a push button manual glowplug system can allow for the glowers to burn themselves out very fast if you hold them on too long. I prefer the stock glowplug system on these trucks because they are easy to work on, remain simple, and are very reliable. A stock glowplug system...if working properly....will not burn out your glowplugs. Just my opinion.
Also, no autolites! They are crappers

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt have thought it would have mattered because you can limit the seconds down to 10-15 seconds I believe I read.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock glowplug controller system will glow them hot for a while, then continue to "cycle" glowers to prevent them from burning out. The cycling cools them down a bit and continues to aid in cold starting until chamber has built enough heat to burn the air/fuel mix. This is why I prefer the stock system

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5-10 seconds, but depends on the plug. on a good but high-mile compression IDI it only took 5-7 summer or winter.

Nothing simpler than push button control - ZD9 applies to any type of "bullet" connector glowplug whereas ZD1A are spades. Bosch work great with push but not controllers, berus seem to work better with controllers but work fine with push. Reason being they run a little "cooler", and can take larger amounts of time before burnout.

15 with bosch will kill them in about two winters, if they are bosch and it takes that long you have air intrusion or low compression... 5-12 bosch, beru can take more. Engine should start just fine with a single glow, not glow + on/off/on/off... But you can smooth out the idling if its real cold by manually doing the cycling too. Or rev it

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
The stock glowplug controller system will glow them hot for a while, then continue to "cycle" glowers to prevent them from burning out. The cycling cools them down a bit and continues to aid in cold starting until chamber has built enough heat to burn the air/fuel mix. This is why I prefer the stock system

The stock system for me hasn't been ideal, it would work one day, then two days later it wouldn't do nothing at all, After I put that manual button on there, she only turns over 2 times before firing.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock system for me hasn't been ideal, it would work one day, then two days later it wouldn't do nothing at all, After I put that manual button on there, she only turns over 2 times before firing.

Yeah I hassled with my system for a few weeks when mine was doing the same thing. I eventually replaced the entire system and that took care of it

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
Jd's reply

5-10 seconds, but depends on the plug. on a good but high-mile compression IDI it only took 5-7 summer or winter.

Nothing simpler than push button control - ZD9 applies to any type of "bullet" connector glowplug whereas ZD1A are spades. Bosch work great with push but not controllers, berus seem to work better with controllers but work fine with push. Reason being they run a little "cooler", and can take larger amounts of time before burnout.

15 with bosch will kill them in about two winters, if they are bosch and it takes that long you have air intrusion or low compression... 5-12 bosch, beru can take more. Engine should start just fine with a single glow, not glow + on/off/on/off... But you can smooth out the idling if its real cold by manually doing the cycling too. Or rev it

Then what would you recomend? I want something that lasts as long as it can, but the reliability of the beru. :)

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
beru's with the factory controller.

did you ever try a new controller or check the wiring to the controller when you were having problems with it?

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I did check both and it was bad, but the wiring was good, I figured why go through the hassle again, it was a pain but got it fixed, but i have poor crapper champion glow plugs, im gonna switch them out this january I'm thinkin of bosh. How long are they holding up for you guys that have manual button setups?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not check out some 12v glow plugs? Here's the problem. You are relying in under sized wire as a current limiter. Everything is working fine and one day, unknown to you, you lose a glow plug. Now those 3 good ones left on that wire are taking 33% more amperage or all seven are taking 15% more amperage the next time you start the truck. Then you keep holding the same time as you always do and others eventually burn out from overheating or you give them just a couple more seconds when you notice it didn't start quite as fast. "they're getting old, you know," thus accelerating their demise.

3 months later you are complaining that brand xyz don't hold up.

This is all just fantasy on my part. But what if?

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
Why not check out some 12v glow plugs? Here's the problem. You are relying in under sized wire as a current limiter. Everything is working fine and one day, unknown to you, you lose a glow plug. Now those 3 good ones left on that wire are taking 33% more amperage or all seven are taking 15% more amperage the next time you start the truck. Then you keep holding the same time as you always do and others eventually burn out from overheating or you give them just a couple more seconds when you notice it didn't start quite as fast. "they're getting old, you know," thus accelerating their demise.

3 months later you are complaining that brand xyz don't hold up.

This is all just fantasy on my part. But what if?
What 12 volt glow plugs are good? :)

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I have DieselRX plugs and so far so good. I also replaced the harness with 12-gauge and I think it helps a lot, but I really have no basis for comparison since this is the first working glow plug system I've ever had.