How do you remove the fan shroud?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I couldn't seem to find an old thread on this topic. The fan shroud seems to be in one big piece. How does it come out after being unbolted? Does it have to come out with the fan/clutch at the same time? or can it be tilted in such a way that it can be guided out on it's own first, with the fan/clutch still installed? It's on my RV/van chassis.

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe on my truck I separated shroud and radiator and pulled the radiator and then took out the shroud. Was replacing the radiator so only took the shroud out to check hole alignment on the new radiator. May be looking under the hood of a van soon, so will try and remember to look and hope the 351 is similar.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't seem to find an old thread on this topic. The fan shroud seems to be in one big piece. How does it come out after being unbolted? Does it have to come out with the fan/clutch at the same time? or can it be tilted in such a way that it can be guided out on it's own first, with the fan/clutch still installed? It's on my RV/van chassis.
On my pickup I could not find a way to get the shroud out without taking off the fan too. I found this totally rediculous and ended up cutting the damn thing in half and after drilling a couple holes on each side of the cuts, and used zip ties to hold it together once re-mounted.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
On my pickup I could not find a way to get the shroud out without taking off the fan too. I found this totally rediculous and ended up cutting the damn thing in half and after drilling a couple holes on each side of the cuts, and used zip ties to hold it together once re-mounted.

What makes it worse is the van hood. While it can be opened very far, twice as far as the support rod holds it, you need someone to hold it. It sounds like I may wait and get IDIBRONCO to help with the fan clutch when I pass through KS since they offered to. I'd have to strap the hood open, if not completely remove it, otherwise.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure about vans or bullnose / bricknose trucks, but I just checked on my OBS and the only thing in the way is the upper radiator hose. 4 bolts and it comes right out.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Plus the radiator fan. That's the part that he's having trouble with.

Yep. Just by eyeballing it, I can see that the fan blocks it but I wanted to be sure I wasn't seeing wrong. I try to educate myself on how every little thing goes before I start.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yep. Just by eyeballing it, I can see that the fan blocks it but I wanted to be sure I wasn't seeing wrong. I try to educate myself on how every little thing goes before I start.
Well you educated yourself correctly on this subject.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Well you educated yourself correctly on this subject.

I have a big cardboard box I'm saving as a radiator guard too. Not sure if it's big enough but it's the best I have. I suppose I could go buy a huge double walled one at a home improvement store closer to time. $3 for a box beats $300 for a radiator.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That must be a van / RV thing then, that sucks. Man, is there anything easy on the IDI vans? :dunno

The oil cooler. Also, getting the turbo off is crazy easy since it's RIGHT THERE if you take off the doghouse cover. And basically anything mounted on the "firewall" side of an IDI.

The return line o-rings weren't too horrible, besides removing the alternator and fuel filter (mounted by the AC compressor). I had a double open ended type of 5/8 wrench where one end is angled differently, so it helped a lot.

Last edited: