How do you remove the fan shroud?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That must be a van / RV thing then, that sucks.
I didn't pay enough attention to this last night, but no it isn't. On all of our trucks and vans, as they came from the factory, the radiator fan and shroud need to come out together unless you cut the shroud (which I never do).

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I didn't pay enough attention to this last night, but no it isn't. On all of our trucks and vans, as they came from the factory, the radiator fan and shroud need to come out together unless you cut the shroud (which I never do).

I read someplace that the shroud is more than a finger saver, it directs the air. Cutting it would probably hinder it doing that.

I thought about doing it, but quickly decided that it's not the best thing to do.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I think my memory might be failing me then, when I had to replace my radiator I never had to pull the fan off. I thought I pulled the shroud straight out after removing the hoses, but maybe I just hung the shroud on the fan and then pulled the radiator out? I wish I took more pictures, I just remember it being a super easy job.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
From my experience, the fan has to be out of the way to get the shroud out. That was on my 88 F-250 I did a few weeks ago, and ages ago when we did the water pump in our 85 Gasser E-150.

However, I did find on the brick, you can remove and reinstall the fan/clutch with the shroud on. I just grabbed the tips of the blade, and un-threaded, or threaded the fan on. I even dealt with all the belts with the fan/clutch off. Made it much nicer to fiddle with the belts.

The only Ford fan shroud that I know is designed to be removed in two pieces (this is personal experience) is on a 6.0. They are installed as one piece from the factory, but they are marked and have holes in them to cut and bolt back together. But, a 6.0 shroud is much deeper than an IDI. It's difficult to even see the belt and accessories. Even replacing the belt is rough......

PROFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished pulling radiator on Teddy. Left fan, hood and shroud on (clutch tool on order). One man job if rig a frame from 2x4's (pictures if needed).

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Just finished pulling radiator on Teddy. Left fan, hood and shroud on (clutch tool on order). One man job if rig a frame from 2x4's (pictures if needed).

It's a van chassis with a short hood that requires a support rod to keep open, and I don't need to pull the radiator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylerperson

Members online