How do you guys deal with the clutch slave cylinder?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a search and see where some of you routinely pull the slave and then the clutch fork to grease it. I also can't find much on the internet about how to take off and re-install the slave cylinder. So why did I have so much trouble today?

I am doing a c6 to zf swap, and I put the transfer case in, and then decided to install the slave cylinder. When I took it out the rod on the slave it really sprung out with some force, and I though to myself that is going to be a pain to put back in. I SPENT OVER 3 HOURS GETTING IT BACK IN. After fiddling with it, I drilled some holes in the little plastic cap, and ran small wires on either side to hold the cylinder rod in the retracted position. One of the original plastic retainers was still there, and I had the thing retracted way more than the factory retainer would have held it, and I still couldn't get it back under the throwout arm.

What I finally ended up doing was taking a tall coupler nut that is used to couple all-thread rod together, and installed a bolt in one end, and used it as a jack to push the throwout arm back enough to slip the slave cylinder in place.

Of course during all this I decided possibly my problem was the cap being on the clutch master, so when I took it off, it promptly spewed all the fluid out and now that I have it in, it has air in it. I see part of the procedure to bleed it is to take the slave back off. I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE THAT THING BACK OFF!

What happened? Why did I have so much trouble? How does it go when you guys put your slave cylinder in?

Last edited:

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I have to pull the slave off my truck, it is already bled of course, so I pop it off the bellhousing, then pull the pin to remove the line. Well installing it just be sure not to let the slave suck in any air.

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE THAT THING BACK OFF!
What happened? Why did I have so much trouble? How does it go when you guys put your slave cylinder in?

I'm in the same boat. I took off the slave cyl. to replace the TO bearing and had a bear of a time getting it back. Now no petal.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like air got in the systemLOL. First make sure the master is bled, this seems to be the most determining factor. Usually the slave will eventually bleed itself after pumping it. To bleed the master I take the line off the slave, while someone works the pedal. When they push in fluid and air will come out, when they pull the pedal back, I plug the line up with my finger. After A couple of pumps it should be bled. You could also put the line in a bucket of brake fluid. Install the slave, then reattach the line. If the slave has any air in it you should be able to finish it off using the bleed screw on top of the slave. Do it the same way you did the master. Leave the screw open when the pedal is depressed and closed when the pedal come back. Any air left will eventually work itself out as you drive it. Good Luck!!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do all the slave cylinders have a bleed fitting? Unless it's hidden, I do not see one on my slave cylinder.

I have been slowly pushing it down and then pulling the pedal back up. Still not there yet. I have heard driving it and possibly parking with the front up hill might help it. I am going to press on and put the rest of it together and see what happens.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Do all the slave cylinders have a bleed fitting? Unless it's hidden, I do not see one on my slave cylinder.

Plastic ones have a little allen screw just in front of the hydraulic line coming into it (front when installed IIRC).

The metal ones, and probably the reason I like them the best, have a bleeder screw just like on a wheel cylinder or caliper. In my search, it was nearly impossible to find a metal replacement one.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had to do my clutch the first time, it was a pain. I did have help though, got my Dad to push it in with a socket (spares the hand), then I'd try to slide it in real quick. Took about three or four tries. When I did my clutch the second time, it was easier, but still required another person to help. When we did my Dad's clutch the first and second times, it was pretty quick, same procedure.

Without help would be real hard. I guess practice makes perfect.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I popped the slave off of my dads truck to lube the fork and bearing slide. It was kinda difficult to do, but I got it back on. Only took like 10 min of messing with it. Most likely it was easier because I was standing in a service pit to do it. On the ground it would have been much more difficult without a doubt. I didn't disco the line, I just pulled a he-man and pushed the rod back in and got it on the bell. I don't look forward to doing it again I tell ya.
Travis..

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i keep the slaves rod exteded (with the fork installed) place the balled end of the slaves rod in the divet of the clutch fork and push the slave cyl forward till i can slide it back onto the bell housing, usualy takes me 1 or 2 tries by myself

groove

Reaction score
I was able to easily push it back in and then install back onto the bellhousing...maybe it was too easy... anything I should be concerned about?

janos1

That's gonna hurt
Reaction score
I got mine working fine now. My wife did the petal, son on filling the master and me on the ground taking a bath in brake fluid. Pump... Hold....Squirt....Refill;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The little plastic cap with the two straps that come on new slave cylinders is a big help in easing the pain of removing and replaceing the slave. I've done this with and without that little strap/cap and it is much more pleasant to have it than not to have it that's for sure.

The bleeder is located on the top front of the slave cylinder, right where the line come in. It should be in a easier to reach location, but it's not.LOL

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HERE is a post from a few weeks ago with more info on that magic little cap/straps for the slave cylinder.

Heath

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine working fine now. My wife did the petal, son on filling the master and me on the ground taking a bath in brake fluid. Pump... Hold....Squirt....Refill;Sweet

Glad it worked out for ya:thumbsup: I forgot to tell you that you were gonnna get soaked in brake fluid LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance