How do I remove fender emblems?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Are they glued on, or pinned through?
How do I get them off without breaking the emblem, or getting screwdriver marks in the sheet metal?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Both. LOL Built Ford tough you know. Consult a local body shop. I bet they have a technique, although all the ones I've taken off, there was never any doubt that the fender was going to be repainted. There are usually a couple of locating pins if any, and then glue, but no fasteners on the back to worry with. The glue is a black hard material, that once you get your emblem off, you'll be faced with getting the rest of the glue off too.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "glue" is a 2 sided tape, gets hard with age. We took them off by using a single edge razor blade in a holder. Once off there will be holes in the fender for the locating dowels. The glue residue can be removed with a cheap automotive enamel reducer and a rag. DO NOT USE LAQUER THINNER OR LEAVE A SOLVENT SOAKED RAG SIT ON A FENDER OR HOOD IT WILL WRINKLE THE PAINT.

If you are reapplying the emblem later simply clean the old tape and glue off of the back and put new 2 sided emblem adhesive tape on the back and trim as necessary.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that even if you get them off without any damage, the paint underneath will not match since it is not faded.

If you are looking to repaint mask carefully around the emblem.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
emblem removel

I use a stiff putty knife.
work from all sides,That way any scratches will he under the emblem.
Good Luck
John

BamaSixGun

Will Work 4 Chrome
Reaction score
i have seen body shops use a real high strength fish line to slice between the fender and the double sided tape.

i have also seen at NAPA, a special plastic putty knife, that you can put in an air chisel, and it will slice the same way.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have seen body shops use a real high strength fish line to slice between the fender and the double sided tape.

Forgot about that trick, old age is a beachLOL Guitar string works well too, great for removing windshields too. Wrap the end of the string around a screwdriver, stick or whatever so you have a handle on each end.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Forgot about that trick, old age is a beachLOL Guitar string works well too, great for removing windshields too. Wrap the end of the string around a screwdriver, stick or whatever so you have a handle on each end.

That's the way I do it. It also helps to warm it up with a hair dryer, heat gun, or just let it sit in the sun first. The fishing line trick should not scratch your paint. Remember the locating pins (usually 2 per emblem). Afterwards, clean up any remaining glue with "Goo Gone."

Tom