How do I find an amp draw? my batteries dead.

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an issue with my A/C condenser leaking 134 so I parked the truck for about a week while I waited for the replacement to arrive.
The condenser came in and I unbolted tha radiator and pulled it out then pulled the condenser out and replaced it. Then I reinstalled the radiator and filled it. When I tried to start it the truck wouldnt even click or anything.
I put the battery charger on there and when I got it running I filled the 134 back up and checked the radiator. The truck was a little low so I turned it off and picked up a gallon of antifreeze the next day to refill it.
The next day after I filled it up I tried to start the truck again and it was dead again. -cuss :backoff :mad:
I have the charger on there again but I am afraid it will leave me stranded somewhere if I shut it off for too long.
Either the truck was having a problem before this and the parking just gave it time to drain or it is somehow related to the work? I dont believe that.

How do I test for a voltage draw with the key off? I am a shadetree king as far as bolting things on and off goes but have no clue about electricity.

Anybody have any tips they care to share?

Thanks, Eric

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the battery ground. Put a multimeter between the cable and the body to see how much of an amperage draw there is. Then start pulling fuses one at a time and checking the amperage draw.

If its a small amperage draw, say 2 amps or so it will often as not turn out to a bad glove box or under the hood light switch or something similar.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Roland said, but don't forget to disconnect BOTH grounds, and check the voltages of each battery. If one has shorted cells, it will pull the other one down.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The test is called a parasitic load test.

It is pretty simple.
1. Place Multimeter in line between battery and ground cable.
2. Read Meter, depending on the vehicle this should be a low number.
3. Find the source either by pulling fuses or disconnecting other sources of possible draw.
4. Eliminate the source of draw.

Matt H

sassyrel

Reaction score
and if those dont cure the problem--after the batts are charged up--disconnect the hot wire off the alt overnight--if the batts are still up in the morning--you have a shorted diode plate in the alt--replace--

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tested tonight

I managed to get some quality time with the IDI today and found that if I pull the domelight/glovebox/radio/etc fuse my voltage actually drops. I am not sure if this is because the door is open and the dome light is trying to be on even though juice isnt hot enough or what.
I felt like the batteries needed to be charged up again so I can test accurately while holding the door button in so the dome light doesnt light.

Will post again later, hopefully with load found.

Thank you, Eric

912504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
juiced up

I charged the batteries up best I could and tried to retest with the domelight fuse pulled. The batteries are still low but were holding strong for the most part at 10.8 or 10.6 back and forth.
I plan to let it set overnight and retest thursday after work provided I get some time before dark.
If the charge is still holding at 10.7 -10.8 what will I need to look at first. I know the glove box light is not sticking on because I can see it when I lay under the dash and look up.

The dome light seems obvious but I didnt see it on just now.

Thanks, Eric