How big of trailer should I go?

wmoguy

Reaction score
I sold our lil 22' 5th wheel tonight, and looking at upgrading to something larger. Question is, how large should I go. I'm cheap, so it'll be something around 5k in price, which around these parts will get me an early to mid 90's 5ver. Besides amenity requirements I'm looking to go about as long as I can (and comes the weight) so I don't have to get a longer one again in a year or two for the growing family.

Given my pickup, how much weight you think I can reasonably handle? For me, handle = being able to run 65 on the Interstate, run A/C in the summer, and not be white knuckled the entire drive. My current 5ver is about 6.5k all loaded up, and the atv trailer and gear (pulling doubles) adds another 3k to the equation. I have no problem pulling that around. I'm guessing my pickup is a good 9k on it's own including full tanks, family, gear, and 115 gallons of fuel in the transfer tank.

Olb Blue Beast

Built Ford Tough
Reaction score
well. My pop's got a 95' F-350 CCLB dually w/ banks power pack and a 64.5gal aux fuel tank. We hauled a 33ft 5th wheel from Canada to Florida & back w/ no real problems. I'd say (considering yur haulin doubles) a 33ft would be plenty big enough. Depends on the motor & tranny upgrades youve done to the ol' boy.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
well. My pop's got a 95' F-350 CCLB dually w/ banks power pack and a 64.5gal aux fuel tank. We hauled a 33ft 5th wheel from Canada to Florida & back w/ no real problems. I'd say (considering yur haulin doubles) a 33ft would be plenty big enough. Depends on the motor & tranny upgrades youve done to the ol' boy.

Not a good comparison, That is a Powerstroke, whole different animal than the IDI when pulling that kinda load.

I would keep it around 28' and a lower profile 5ver given your parameters of being able to run 65 on the Interstate, run A/C in the summer, and not be white knuckled the entire drive. Especially towing doubles. There are a lot of mid 90s out there in that size and price rang with pop outs that give you lots more room. Or you can sell the trailer, get a Toy Hauler and have it all in one unit, but prolly not for $5K

Olb Blue Beast

Built Ford Tough
Reaction score
ah ****. I shouldve know. Ya, sorry for makin that comparison. i forgot they had the idi in 94'. Ya, Im with Darrn Tosh on this one. 28fter is plenty big enough

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
The reason I got rid of my 94.5, was because the GCWR was 19,000lbs.. When I hooked up our 33' 5'er, I was 500lbs over... The 97's GCWR was 20,000lbs and I was 500lbs under that..