Houston, we have a problem!!!! Cracked cyllinder

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Time to pick up the pieces and move on.

Well, thanks for the input and advice guys. Now lets all bow our heads as I give a little prayer and farewell to the Logger's origional motivation. Cue bag pipes please.

Now I lay me down to rest, a broken IDI that did its best.

252,000 miles isn't a bad deal, lets just hope it doesn't wind up in China in their next load of scrap steel.:angel:

Ok, now that the formalities are out of the way, onto better things. I think I'm gonna just put the spare in with the turbo and let it ride.;Sweet I have been needing my truck and this is a quick fix. If the spare is terribly dirty, I will reseal it. GP's, pump, injectors, and return lines will be swapped. I know that all of these except the pump only have 20k miles on them. I'm hoping on being able to get just the copper seals for injectors and o rings for returns. I might even get the paint gun out and throw some IH red on it.:sly

Next I will dissamble the cracked motor to learn more and checked for that bent rod that was mentioned. :eek:I plan to inventory the parts boxing and storing everything good. Probably will part out donor truck and eventually make that go away also. Think I may use the block as my mailbox post!! China will never see it then.:rotflmao:rotflmao

I do want to get another motor on deck soon there after. Yes Delaware is close and that 6.9 is a screamin' good deal by the looks of things, I may check it out. Thanks, Dave. Maybe another spare runner and something to really build up. I was wondering is sleeving a good 7.3 block to a 6.9 may be best, then you can get 1/2" studs. This way, I can work on things like an intercooler and a brownie for the truck and start to build a motor worthy of Moose injection:love: at the same time.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
Glad you have a plan that works for you! :thumbsup: I like the thought for what to use the old block for...very unique.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The crack will still be in the original bore

The way they do them around here it ends up very much like a wet-sleeve in a big engine.

The entire cylinder/bore is cut out and replaced with a from then after replaceable sleeve.

I didn't know there was any other method. :dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trade you a cam core for a couple return line kits with viton orings.