Horray! New Rubber

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Got 4 out of 6 new tires for my truck. The steer ones will stay for a while, then I'll upgrade those also.

You must be registered for see images

I also found that my spare is really ancient/original, or swapped off of something old.

Here's it's specs:

On the rim: Budd E 78 Y R86530

Tire:

Dunlop radial rover
DOT DAXL 8A6235

9.50 R16.5LT

Load Range D

D5 (or S)R-RLT-ASP

A8022-1

10-06-13

Looks like swapping the tire vegas39 gave me onto it isn't possible, so I'll hold onto it when I get the firestones on.

Sorry, no photos (yet) I question if it would ever fit on my truck even. Doesn't have the metal pin on it for dualies, just the alignment hole. Weird rim

Is this a stock rim/tire when my truck was new? I see 215 was the stock tire (or so is claimed) what did ford spec for tires when my truck was sold new?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run the trans force h/t on my truck. In the same size even. I have been pleased with mine so Far. I've put about 4k on them.

About your spare, I have no idea. All I can tell you is my 92 model has 7 wheels that are the same. I actually kept my best old tire and mounted a new tire on the spare wheel. Seems to be all the same.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
very nice. i also had good luck with transforce HT on my first gen cummins.

with 4 tires in back new steers can wait :-D

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I'm excited to get these on, so my truck can do what it is supposed to: haul! Got 3 motorcycles, a 1950 dodge coronet, a 1957 chevy belair, 1959 chevrolet apache, 1967 dodge polara, 1968 plymouth barracuda, 1977 cadillac seville to haul over to another place and get ready for either resale or to be able to drive them around/restore! (57,59 are keepers. 59 needs the most work). A heavy duty toolbox is also slated to get hauled over. Busy busy, but it's time to earn his keep!

I've heard lots of good things about these firestones, hopefully I get the same luck out of them!

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Oooo I have a soft spot in my heart for 58-61 apaches. 59s and 61s r my favorite

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Oooo I have a soft spot in my heart for 58-61 apaches. 59s and 61s r my favorite

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I'll see about some photos for you. It's a bone stock truck, 283, 4? speed manual (with a granny gear i've heard) only non stock thing is the annoying distributor on it. Taken out of some other GM product and put on. (previous owner) Maybe it's just me, but seems to be a royal ***** to start. I've seen my fair share of ornery engines to start, but this one takes the cake. It's a long bed fleetside, Apache 3200 is it's designation

Got the tires mounted on my back axle yesterday, time to earn his keep!

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question: Mine has load range E and it says on my VIN sticker to use them. What's the harm of running D's? All I do is driving me and my stuff around, occasionally loading the bed full of metal and running to the steel yard, and towing a small utility trailer a few times a year.

How big a deal is the load rating? Also, nice tires ;Sweet

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Question: Mine has load range E and it says on my VIN sticker to use them. What's the harm of running D's? All I do is driving me and my stuff around, occasionally loading the bed full of metal and running to the steel yard, and towing a small utility trailer a few times a year.

How big a deal is the load rating? Also, nice tires ;Sweet

I'm still learning all about it honestly.

Here's the info for my tires from tire rack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=385R6TAT&tab=Specs

This may help you some why E rated is better

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...-range-e-vs-load-range-d-question-please.html

Seems as if the D rated is a weaker sidewall. A cummins engine tends to weigh more then our V8's, so you've got a lot more abuse tossed at the suspension and tires as a example

Best I could sum up is if you have plans of hauling a lot, get/keep E's on your truck. Right now my truck is more a glorified grocery getter, but I do have haul demands sometimes. A fridge is in it's future for example. As well as motorcycles, many of it mentioned above. I also volunteer (not lately, too busy) for a dog rescue and they have a ranch 90 miles to the northwest that always needs deliveries of dog food. I could probably even haul to El Cajon california if I wanted and pick up pallets of dog food.

See how I would be in a world of hurt if I used Load Range D tires? A typical bag of dog food weighs 50 lbs. and they get enough donations that I could easily fill up my 8 foot bed with bags to it's rails! Other bags weigh 30 lbs, etc etc. But 50 is a average load master bench mark.

Not encouraging you to throw fist fulls of cash at tires, but if you may need to scale up in weight (even temporary) and it exceeds the limits of the tire, you may have issues

Last edited: