Horn issues

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my truck, the horn was bypassed to a push button on the dash. Cruise also doesn't work.

I decided to try and fix that today.

Pulled the steering wheel off and cleaned up the contacts really good and out it all back together. The horn works now!!! Until you turn the key.

Horn works on radio? mode or off, but if you turn the key fowards, it dies.

Any ideas?!?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your problem sounds like the steering shaft grounding piece is worn out. I think it is a rubbing block down in the column that grounds the shaft as it turns. If you want to experiment and see if this is the problem, get a jumper wire with alligator clips on the ends ( or something to hook up a scrap piece of wire) and go down to the rag joint above the steering box, and clip the wire on the shaft piece ABOVE the rag joint toward the firewall. Clip the other end to a good ground. See if that fixes the problem you have. If it does, you can somehow make a permanent jumper to hook both sides of the rag joint together electrically so the shaft is grounded through the steering box.

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your problem sounds like the steering shaft grounding piece is worn out. I think it is a rubbing block down in the column that grounds the shaft as it turns. If you want to experiment and see if this is the problem, get a jumper wire with alligator clips on the ends ( or something to hook up a scrap piece of wire) and go down to the rag joint above the steering box, and clip the wire on the shaft piece ABOVE the rag joint toward the firewall. Clip the other end to a good ground. See if that fixes the problem you have. If it does, you can somehow make a permanent jumper to hook both sides of the rag joint together electrically so the shaft is grounded through the steering box.

You, my good sir, are a freaking genius.
I have been working on it and traced it down to the column losing ground when the key was turned.
Your trick worked! Now to find a way for it to be permanent...

Thank you.

Last edited:

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It works!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cruise is still dead, but I think that's an entire different issue. Lol