Hopefully I right here...

V8BBGER

Reaction score
Hopefully I am right here...

Hi folks,

A friend of mine has a '85 CCLB 4x4 with 6.9 Diesel and a 3-speed-automatic transmission.

He would like to convert it into a 4-speed-automatic transmission. Is there any possibility to do that? Can the 3-speed be also just replaced by a 4-speed-auto of a Bronco or later F-Model truck?

I've heard of putting a E4OD with a controller in it, but where to and how to connect the controller?

Ok, we are from the other side of the world and unfortunately we don't have salvage yards with American cars here. So we can only order parts from the other side of the ocean. That limits our possibilities just to "try" or ask any mechanic over here.

I hope you guys have good ideas what can be done to get this additional-gear-wish fullfilled.

Thank you all in advance.

See you....

Ronny

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will need an E4OD transmission and torque converter. Not sure about the flex plate, but you should get one anyway since it's a one time shipment. Then you can run it with a Baumann controller (http://www.becontrols.com/e4od.htm) . You will need somebody state side to line you one up and crate and ship it to you. It's your best and really only option if you want to stick with an automatic. Personally, I'd convert to a manual trans if I were going to do a swap, but that's just me.

V8BBGER

Reaction score
Hi Agnem,

Thanks a lot for your advice and help.

Personally I would do the same and just throw in a 5-speed-manual. That could become a project for my Bronco...

But that's my friend and he sticks with the auto for...I don't even know the real reason.

Anyway, I'll tell him the pro-opinion.

Have a relaxing day.

See you.....

Ronny

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. changing from the C6 auto and seeing its a 4x4 you have specific parts that will need to stay in the family. This family is the 4x4 drive. A 2 wheel drive trans in the auto setup is going to be different from the 4x4 auto trans. The cases are different. In the 4 or 5 speed standard trans I believe you just remove the tail shaft of the trans and attach the transfer case. Not really sure but others have good information on this. An auto trans can use the same flex plates. be it C6 or E4OD with the built in overdrive. As for converting to the E4OD and running the controller thats simple wiring. With the E4OD trans you need a message from the speedometer, the tach, the injection pump needs a throttle position switch and the rear end gears. All that is explained in the Bauman info package. Then there is the drive shaft modification and the trans crossmember needed for the trans you want to use. And finally all the frame drilling. Thats usually the most difficult to do.

V8BBGER

Reaction score
Hi Icanfixall,

Thank you for your help, Sir.

I will forward all suggestions to my friend. The Baumann option looks like being comfortable and kinda easy to do.....at least the theoretical part LOL

Have a great and stressless day.

See you.......

Ronny

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OB,

Lets take a look at what he will need.

Drive shafts, front and rear, SINCE A CC you may, get away with JUST the front 1/2 of the rear two piece shaft..not sure on that!

Cross member for E4OD

Buaman controller and wiring

Transfer case Shifter linkage, the long flat bar ....could be made up if needed, may need a different tcase shifter mount based on year of truck too....uncertain...need research this, others will chime in and speak to it.

NEW/REMAN transmission with NEW torque converter, flywheel, and so forth. GET THE BADDEST BIGGEST BEST transmission you can afford, its going to pay in the end with only one install instead of multiple.

POSSIBLY a New Shifter in cab as you now will have a 4sp instead of 3 speed

Another less expensive option would be a GEAR VENDORS OD add on for the C6 transmission, then you just have to deal with drive shafts and that's it! I'd strongly encourage you to tell your friend about this option because it's most likely going to give a better ROI for him.

Again Welcome to OB, and get your friend to sign in too if he can read english!

Al

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a couple other things to remember. It has to be a trans from a diesel to not require major effort to use. A small block trans will not work so bronco is probably out. If the C6 is okay, has he considered just going with an overdrive? Might be a lot easier but it would not give the lock-up converter. Anyway, good luck and happy hunting.

On Edit: I'm pretty sure a big block auto won't fit either, so a 460 trans is probably also out..

V8BBGER

Reaction score
Hi Al,

Thank you for your respond.

It would be helpful for me to know what the shortcut ROI means. That way I can easier translate all the posts for my friend.

I won't come on this site here. The reason is that he wanted to sell his truck and so we started to know each other. We have the same first name, but his price was different from what I would have paid for his truck.

Anyway, his knowledge in English isn't that good and if he uses Google translater than nobody can understand it at all, not the Americans and not the Krauts. So I am doing him this favour, ask his questions for him and translate the answers. Therefore his knowledge in Russian is much better, but can't be used on here. Well, learning another language depended on in which part of Germany you grew up.

It had a good thing that his truck was out of my financial range. A couple years ago I had a E350 Econoline Quadravan. Well, when my last brain cell went on vacation I sold this van. I really regret that until today. This van never gave me any kind of heart attack etc. It always worked fine. Ok, the mpg was extremely terrible, but if I wanna save gas-money then I should walk.

Since his truck cannot move to my side I think a lot about my old van. And maybe I get one agai n. Ok, Pathfinders and Quikleys are more than rare here, besides it is some kind of military vehicle.

And because I have a big weakness for the socalled Bullnose, it has to be an old van of the 80s.

Sorry, for chewing up your ears with this private stuff.

Thank you again.

See you.....

Ronny

V8BBGER

Reaction score
Hopefully I am right here.....

Hi Laserjock,

Thank you for your answer.

I will translate and forward it to my friend.

Btw., I was browsing the internet and ended up at a Russian site: ford-trucks-club. I was impressed somehow, how these guys work on their trucks with having problems to get parts from USA. Ok, I do not speak any Russian, but thanks God, pics are international.

Have a great rest of the day.

See you.....

Ronny

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I'll echo everyone else here. Why are you looking into the e40d? If it is just for the overdrive. The cheap and simple answer is to go with an external OD unit. A Gear Vendors or a US Gear. I'm not certain about the Gear Vendors, but the US Gear unit you can get with an adapter that places it between the Transmission and Transfer case. So it can even be used in 4wd. However, 99.99% of the time you would be in 4wd, you won't want an OD gear anyway.

Doing it this way gives you the stone reliability of the C6, with an overdrive gear. For less than 1/4 the cost of "upgrading" to a "reliable" e40d. You won't get a locking torque converter, so you will loose a little fuel efficiency, and gain some more heat. But without spending $4000ish dollars(us, before shipping) you simply will not get an e40d that will stand up to what a factory C6 laughs at. That's without adding in the transmission controller or torque converter.

If he had an e40d truck, I would say go for a rough service built e40d and not look back. However I have trouble justifying the massive amount of cash required to change out the C6 for the e40d. Especially when both the Gear Vender and the US Gear OD's are inexpensive, very tough, and reliable additions to a very inexpensive, tough, and reliable transmission.

(also R.O.I. = Return On Investment)

V8BBGER

Reaction score
Hi Wyreth,

Thanks a lot, Sir, for this explanation.

I have already forwarded it to my friend.

Have a stressless day.

See you....

Ronny