Holley red pump

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think i found the reason my truck won't start. there is diesel all over the bottom of the stock fuel filter and directly below it down the side of the valve cover and block. i think i need to get a new bottom thing. (attached # 2)

also, in the attached photo, is that the fuel selector valve? if so, which hose do i tap into?

Attachments

• 100_0202.jpg
    100_0202.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_0203.jpg
    100_0203.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bigger diameter hose is the fuel supply. The smaller ID is the return. The ports are also marked.

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 final questions before I start this project tomorrow.

1. for those of you with the safety shutoff switch, do i need to wire a bypass switch inside the cab for normal startups? if oil pressure is less than 7psi the pump won't run with the switch installed.

2. when removing the old fuel pump permanently, do i need to make sure the arm is at the lowest position, or just pull it out? and if so, how do i tell where the arm is when its inside?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
2 final questions before I start this project tomorrow.

1. for those of you with the safety shutoff switch, do i need to wire a bypass switch inside the cab for normal startups? if oil pressure is less than 7psi the pump won't run with the switch installed.

No, I have power going through the switch to my fuel pump. You do not need to apply power before cranking as you will get 7 PSI very quick and the IP seems to have enough fuel to start with anyway. My truck never turns more than 1/2 of a revolution or so and is running, well as long as I let the glow plugs cycle that is! cookoo

2. when removing the old fuel pump permanently, do i need to make sure the arm is at the lowest position, or just pull it out? and if so, how do i tell where the arm is when its inside?

I just removed the bolts and pulled it off. There should be no need to do anything different unless the arm is gone/missing. If the arm is compressed as you are removing it, the tension will try to push the pump away from the engine, making it necessary to use a wrench/socket/both to crank the bolts all the way out, whereas if you can eliminate the tension on the bolts, you can probably just use an extension and socket (turn with fingers once loose instead of ratchet) which makes it a little easier. At any rate, just remove the lines and two bolts and take it off. Pretty easy other than getting to the bolts. Not sure what you are doing with your fuel lines, but remember you will have to splice the two lines at the pump together if you aren't replacing them.

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm going to mount my pump, then cut the line and i got some 3/8 in ID fuel line to go over the outside of the old line, and my fittings are 3/8 in at the pump. then use some line clamps and clamp it down. that way i'm only cutting out maybe a foot or 2 of oem.