HMMV H1 37" goodyear military OZ Tires

darwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience using these 37" Goodyear wrangler military take off radials? I see them going for around 100 a tire with 95% or better tread left. That is half the price of what I paid for the tires I have on now, and about 2/3's less than Toyo M/T's. The only bad thing is they require a 16.5 inch rim.

Thoughts?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've run them for years.....great tire. Who sells them for that price?

People talk a lot about 16.5's, but I've never had an issue.

Heath

darwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen them on EBay, and various vendors on Pirate4x4 bulletin. What rims are you using?

How many miles are you getting out of set? If I could get 20-30K I would be satisfied.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i can get them for 50 a tire in phoenix 11.00X16 and 16.00X20 michelins too but not sure how much those would cost

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
People talk a lot about 16.5's, but I've never had an issue.

I think that the only reason people talk about the 16.5's is cause that is not a popular tire size anymore, and will be harder and harder to find them in the future.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen them on EBay, and various vendors on Pirate4x4 bulletin. What rims are you using?

How many miles are you getting out of set? If I could get 20-30K I would be satisfied.

I'm use a set of old chevy steel wheel with the hub section hogged out to fit over the Ford hubs.

I've looked for a nice plain, black steel 16.5 rim, but I've found nothing I like in the aftermarket.

You will easily get 20-30k with those tires.

Heath

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I have 3 left of the 4 that came on my 86. Other than ride and quiet. i would never recommend them. unless they never leave the road. I would pull in my yard w 2" of snow and be stuck as sooon as the tires left the pavement. I was kinda glad i had a blow out w one. O and the sidewalls are thin as hell.(hence the good ride)

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 3 left of the 4 that came on my 86. Other than ride and quiet. i would never recommend them. unless they never leave the road. I would pull in my yard w 2" of snow and be stuck as sooon as the tires left the pavement. I was kinda glad i had a blow out w one. O and the sidewalls are thin as hell.(hence the good ride)

Wow. I've never had an issue off road or in snow or ice. I've never once be hung up with these.....even in clay. :dunno

Your hubs locking in? You have LS or locker?

Heath

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
It is an open rear and i was in 2wd. I should be able to go on level ground in 2wd all day not needing 4wd. The almost bald M/T mtz that are on the truck now out perform the goodyears 200%. i wouldn't put the goodyears on if someone gave me a new set! To each their own. I used to like goodyears, especially the ATS but as far as i am concerned these M/T are good for ony one thing, a rope swing:rotflmao

darwin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found these 16.5 inch Procomp black steel rims.
http://www.procomptires.com/truck-jeep-wheels/rock-crawler-series-152-wheels.aspx

So far it seems one person for and another against these tires. I am not looking for a super aggressive rock crawling tire, just something that will last 20-30k and does not cost $335 a tire. I will sacrifice the poor offroad charecterists cor the price. That being said I am sure they will do better than the bald AT tires I have on now. I need to decide on what is the smallest lift I can get away with and still fit these tires.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is an open rear and i was in 2wd. I should be able to go on level ground in 2wd all day not needing 4wd. The almost bald M/T mtz that are on the truck now out perform the goodyears 200%. i wouldn't put the goodyears on if someone gave me a new set! To each their own. I used to like goodyears, especially the ATS but as far as i am concerned these M/T are good for ony one thing, a rope swing:rotflmao

I'm not trying to argue with you but that's not been my experience (not even close) with these tires for the last 11 years. An open diff in 2 wheel drive is useless on anything other than pavement. I don't care what tire you've got on there. Can't blame the tire for that, especially in snow covered grass.cookoo

Darwin, I like those procomps, but I didn't see a 16.5 listed......did I over look it?

Heath

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I have better luck than you in snow then. Last winter i drove a 2wd f150 open diff.w some crappy continental all seasons all winter. never got stuck once. Not saying i didnt spin . But these goodyears i was EXTREAMLY dissapointed in:dunno

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
My exp with Diesel's in 2wd is they are about useless off pavement or on ice in 2wd. Until I put the flatbed on my truck 2wd was completly useless even in light snow or grass with a good tire. Lock it into 4x4 & it ran great.

Never ran the Goodyears but I want to someday I ever lift mine. They seem to do well on road & even on the track.