Tire choice help...

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi gang!
Although the E rated 265/75-16 A/T tires that came with the truck look ok and have plenty of tread left but on close inspection, I can see signs of dry rot. That coupled with the date code putting them around ten years old... It's obvious that for safety reasons, Raylan needs some new shoes before pulling our house south for the winter. The truck is 4x4 and we do have occasion to use it. In Florida, we live off the grid, on some low lying grove land. When it rains the farm roads can get pretty sloppy, to say nothing of the area where we have the trailer. So I'm looking for a tire that gives good highway and wet road performance and works okay off road. Plus who doesn't like the looks of an aggressive tire on a 4x4? We're running Hankook ATM RF-10 tires on the Cherokee. I'm on the second set. They are superb on the road. Quiet and sticky, excellent in the rain at speed. I've never been stuck in the deep mud and they've done a good job on the rocky trails in the Catskills. Unfortunately, there not available in a E rated tire. I've just started looking/research and I've seen a few that look good, like the Wrangler A/T adventure w/ Kevlar. But at $240 a tire, I'm hoping that I can find something for a lot less that still does the job. I realize that you get what you pay for and tires are no place to skimp. That's why I run the ATM RF -10 tires on the Jeep. When I found them, Hankook was making a name in the international market and as such, the're a super deal... What's the collective say? Do I just need to anti up (and bend over) for one of the big names? Or is there a more reasonably priced alternative that's gonna provide the features that I need? What are you all running for a combination of heavy highway towing and decent off road performance?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of other options out there but look at

Firestone Transforce AT2
Cooper Discover AT3

Neither are overly aggressive but should be a good compromise of both worlds.

@snicklas and a few other guys on here swear by the Firestone AT2. I have them on the front of my truck and haven't had any issues with them at all, they were surprisingly good in the snow too. The coopers were significantly cheaper though and I've heard lots of good things about them.

I've heard great things about the Goodyear Duratracs too but they're pretty pricey.

I'll link you to my tire thread from a couple months ago
https://www.oilburners.net/threads/on-the-fence-about-tires-yep-another-tire-thread.85987/

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While this probably isn't useful, the only new set of tires I've bought was a set of Michelin XPS Traction tires. I had found a used set that were over 20 years old(3-digit date code) and had zero sidewall cracking and were still pliable, and thought "Wow, I need to buy a new set of these".
Good side is that they worked good, and I really do like steel-sidewall belted tires(Very stiff, no side movement, and don't bulge much when you load them down heavy). Bad side is that in under a year(@ less than 10K miles) I ended up with less than half the tread left. :\.

1992 idi 73

Reaction score
I have a pair of Nexen Roadian AT Pro A8. They are not aggressive at all but are really good off road, I used them on while this truck was a farm truck and it could slop through the muck not a problem. So i would totally recommend these.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

Chris Helton

Reaction score
My son put a set of Nitto Terra Grappler AT on his 99 Powerstroke, and swore by them. Good aggressive tread. We get lots of rain and snow and mountain roads, and so far, he is pleased. I just put a set on my 86, and was amazed how quiet and smooth riding they were, they look like they should howl. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform this winter.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
Could someone help me out with understanding the load range numbers? I'm familiar with the letter range rating, but how does the number range work? For instance I found these tires,
FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T3W
https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/falken-wildpeak-a-t3w
There rated 99-129, I think that is comparable to load range E, am I correct? Thanks for the help!

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
Could someone help me out with understanding the load range numbers? I'm familiar with the letter range rating, but how does the number range work? For instance I found these tires,
FALKEN WILDPEAK A/T3W
https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/falken-wildpeak-a-t3w
There rated 99-129, I think that is comparable to load range E, am I correct? Thanks for the help!
Yes.
That link doesn't work for me, but load range E corresponds to inflation rating of 80psi / 10ply. You can look up a load ratings chart to translate the load index. It comes down to looking at the specific tire in each scenario but let's assume around 3klbs @ 80psi and 1500-4k range. I would say yes comparable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ColLonewolf

Reaction score
I had a set of the Goodyear Wrangler AT and they would not stay in balance. Every road trip I would have them rebalanced and within 500 miles they were out again. Run BFG AT now and I love them. Pricey but a great tire. Quiet. Great with wet roads and just about anything else. Not the cow ***** mud though. Clogs right up.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a set of the Goodyear Wrangler AT and they would not stay in balance. Every road trip I would have them rebalanced and within 500 miles they were out again.
Is this a good scenario for Dyna Beads? I'm still on the fence as to whether they are a good idea or not, but they might work nicely for something like this which won't stay balanced.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a good scenario for Dyna Beads? I'm still on the fence as to whether they are a good idea or not, but they might work nicely for something like this which won't stay balanced.
Yes it's pretty much the ideal setup. The big reason they are used is for balancing truck tires(which aren't balanced in any conventional way) and oversized off-road tires, like 35"+ but especially into the 40" range. Most of the reviews are from mudders when I looked them up.

Pro tip: use airsoft beads instead and save a bunch of money! :peelout
They keep the table of oz per tire size on the dynabead website so it's always ready for comparison.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I loath buying tires.
I have Cooper Discoverer A/T3s on multiple vehicles though.
Started with the flood victim (replaced the worn out Discoverer A/Ts it came with), now have them on: the wife's 99 Explorer (removed a set of duratracs), 91 F-150, 88 Suburban, and an 89 Ranger.
I'll keep buying them until they get rid of them, and then I'll buy the new version.