new wheels and tires. 285 75 16... Americas tire experience

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
so i bought these HANKOOK dynapro AT-M off craigslist in las vegas.. thanks VEGASMISFIT for getting grandpa to pick them up..

285 require a 7.5" rim minimum. people seem to use alcoas with no issues but i feel the tires look bubbled out.
I decided to swap the 8" wide wheels from the utility truck and so far they feel solid and look square on the rim.
This size was not my first choice. id perfer a 255 85 16 but these are a more common tire and wanted to increase my footprint.

the RPM difference is 100 compared to my 70% tread life toyo AT 235 85 16. quiet tire. still perfer the look of alcoas

so these tires had not been previously installed. brand new. Americas tire sold me on the warranty certificates.. $126 for all 4.
i had originally asked to mount them myself and just have the 50k manufactures warranty but they would mount and balance for free!!!

good idea gone BAD IDEA!..

I made a deal to bring both trucks in and have them swap my complete alcoas/toyos onto the utility truck, then install new tires with wheels from ulitity.

first off the manager had to go outside and slowly explain the situation to the young eager boys. all with glassy, lost looks in their eyes.

kid tries to install the alcoas with the conical aftermarket lugs that go with the eagle alloys. i catch him right as he torques the last one.. :-/
its scary to think what would have happened if he tried to install the 1 1/16 steel lugs on the eagle alloys.

Second!.. no one tried to sell me new valve stems...
2 of mine are solid steel inserts and the other 2 were 80psi high pressure rubber stems which i do not like! i spaced out on this and did not catch them in time.

strike three! last wheel is going onto white truck. at this point im standing outside the bay overlooking they're work. kid cant get one lug to torque...
manager tries, scratches his head and walks up to me. "sir, have you had your wheel studs replaced on this truck?"
NO... I walk up and instantly see they put the short lugs for the front on the back.. walk to the front and see the longs up front...
i walk around to the passenger side and see they are installed correctly.. i say ONE MORE TIME... manager explains "uhh we havent seen that before..."
REALLY? because these trucks are the same for all 3/4 1tons from 80-97... lets say most of the non-efi trucks are gone off the road in cali.. 87-97 trucks.. ***!!?? 11 years
after that they finished up but installed my old lug nuts up front with one cap almost popped off. all are dented from the stud. Im amazed they got the others to seat without breaking.

yesterday morning i call up the regional office and was told i would get a prompt call back.. did not happen.

previously i bought a new set of trailer tires from discount tire and had them shipped to my house. good deal and i mounted them myself. i hope they make this right

You must be registered for see images attach

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember, it takes absolutely no training or certification to work at a tire store. I understand you wanted the replacement certificates, and I've played this game before too. It's painful to deal with, but I'm glad the end result worked out well. Both trucks look great!

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have those dyna pros on my 05 f150. A couple years ago I was hauling 24-2600 lbs on sand bags about 5 miles through standing water mud and wet grass and they worked great.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
As a Discount Tire employee i am sorry that you had this experience. I can assure you and others on here that not all stores are like that and it sounds like that manager should be demoted a few levels.....like maybe back down to service tech...you can't even tell a difference in lug nuts???????????

what that store did is UNACCEPTABLE!!! if you do not here back from the regional office, then keep calling back. That store needs to change stuff around big time!!!! I can tell you that sadly there are stores out there that don't give a flying **** about the customer. All they care about is getting cars in/out and getting units.

personally i would try out a different store before you totally give up on DCT/ATC....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh how this is another reason for doing ones OWN work...wow.
easier said than done. the tire machines these days cost more than a arm/leg/left nut. My Snap-on dealer turned me onto these two on a $4k cash deal. I don't care who you are, that outlay will take forever to recoup. Unfortunately, even these two are starting to become obsolete. it's a bear wrestling experience on sizes larger than 22" rin and run-flats are a two man job. I still have my coats 20/20 for the salvage yard work. that was only a $100 back in '87.

Attachments

• P1000597.JPG
    P1000597.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 220

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trucks look good! About the tire experience, that totally sucks man. There is a reason I lernt to do my own work and if there is something I don't have the right tools to do, then I have a shop I know will do it right. Because I do the work there and use their stuff!! LOL

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
it makes me mad cause ive had the same before and i used to work at a custom shop where we did alot of big rims like 26, 28, 30"s and everything inbetween but since i dont live near there anymore i cant run in and use the machine and places like discount want to charge 25 bucks a wheel out here for balancing i can manually mount them on these 16s but i could just walk up to their machine and be done in a few mins if they would just let me lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When I was 19 years old I enjoyed working with the Coats 10 10 or 20 20 can't recall now its been way too many years ago at a Shell service station. Easy to operate too.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same size tire mounted on the stock 6 x 16wheels. I bought them at Americas tire and they never told me about the rims being too narrow they seem fine to me. I got the Rocky Mountain ATS tires I should have got the BF Goodrich the ATS tires are terrible in the dirt

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
if i dont get a call back by 3pm tomorrow ill call back.

also is 3.25 too much weight? they did not clean off the old tape very well. or black out my white walls.

they also did not replace my short lug nuts they torqued on the rear studs

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I like the wheel/truck combinations how they are now, better than how they were before.

The alcoas go with the utility bed IMO.
And whatever those are on the white truck seem to match a play truck, along with the winch bumper.

That does sound like a lot of weight, but I'm not a tire guy, so I don't know.
I went cheap and am trying out bb's.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your experience with them. I've used various Discount locations over the years and have always been happy with the customer service. Matter of fact, I just had them install my OBS Alcoas not too long ago. I asked them to be careful because, although they didn't look like much, I had countless hours of prepping and polishing into them and had been wanting a set for years. They were very professional, used sticky weights like I asked, and even threw some tire dressing on, which was real nice of them considering I had not bought the tires from them. Granted, I installed the new center caps myself, but that's because I knew they wouldn't fit right straight out of the box and would need some 'persuasion'.

Mike

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your experience with them. I've used various Discount locations over the years and have always been happy with the customer service. Matter of fact, I just had them install my OBS Alcoas not too long ago. I asked them to be careful because, although they didn't look like much, I had countless hours of prepping and polishing into them and had been wanting a set for years. They were very professional, used sticky weights like I asked, and even threw some tire dressing on, which was real nice of them considering I had not bought the tires from them. Granted, I installed the new center caps myself, but that's because I knew they wouldn't fit right straight out of the box and would need some 'persuasion'.

Mike

wow you got them to dress your tires? they left my wheels and tires filthy...

granted i bought these tires from a private party they had the stickers on them and when i gave them the guys number he found them with no issues.

date stamp is 4812 so that me feel better.

i paid $126 and only asked them to swap a complete set of wheels over to my truck. i feel thats a very simple request for a full service tire shop.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
i have a coats 30/30 that ive used since i was big enough to operate it. i can still buy the nylon caps and use tire soap.

ive mounted 40x17.5 on 15x10 rims with no issues other then sliding the bar inside the tire when mounting.

that was the reason why i wanted to do it myself. i didnt want to play musical wheels and the certificates came with free M&B