High Idle Solenoid Idea

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's that time of the year, starting to get cold out in southern wisconsin. I recently purchased a keyless entry/ remote start system for my truck and was wondering if there's a solenoid or if someone's already found one that actually is strong enough to push the throttle unlike the stock one. Thought it'd also help remote starting because the throttle would be applied some before it cranks

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could go linear actuator or pneumatic. That's about your only options. A small linear actuator might be the best bet if you don't have onboard air.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing stock, but I'm sure you could cobble up something strong enough. Look at some of the surplus sites for solenoids.

That being said from what understand of the injection pump setup throttle lever position has no bearing on starting - below idle speed the fuel flow is governor controlled, so you get the same flow regardless of if the petal is at idle or full throttle.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing stock, but I'm sure you could cobble up something strong enough. Look at some of the surplus sites for solenoids.

That being said from what understand of the injection pump setup throttle lever position has no bearing on starting - below idle speed the fuel flow is governor controlled, so you get the same flow regardless of if the petal is at idle or full throttle.

You must be registered for see images

?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a few ideas I want to try for my remotestart, one is temporarily pulse the cold idle solenoid with 24v and see if it has enough force to push the throttle then return it to 12v to not burn it out, this will all happen in a second or two so it won't burn out.

The other which is a bit more tricky is using the electronic cruise control to control high idle by feeding it rpm instead of vechile speed data which would make a free high idle for pto use or whatever also. Just need to figure out a way to get the remote start to tell the cruise control to increase rpm.

Other then that you could used a door lock actuator with a small chain and a programed output on the remotestart to give the throttle a one second pull allowing the high idle solenoid to kick in, this is what we did on some BMW cars to make the alternator work when remote started.

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a few ideas I want to try for my remotestart, one is temporarily pulse the cold idle solenoid with 24v and see if it has enough force to push the throttle then return it to 12v to not burn it out, this will all happen in a second or two so it won't burn out.

The other which is a bit more tricky is using the electronic cruise control to control high idle by feeding it rpm instead of vechile speed data which would make a free high idle for pto use or whatever also. Just need to figure out a way to get the remote start to tell the cruise control to increase rpm.

Other then that you could used a door lock actuator with a small chain and a programed output on the remotestart to give the throttle a one second pull allowing the high idle solenoid to kick in, this is what we did on some BMW cars to make the alternator work when remote started.
I like the idea of the pulse should be to bad if it's only for a few seconds, only thing is there like $100 from the stealership. I'm not sure how to give it the pulse either

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could go linear actuator or pneumatic. That's about your only options. A small linear actuator might be the best bet if you don't have onboard air.
Yeah I'm not running on board air. I figured I could do something like that, would probably just have to make a new bracket for it and have it adjusted right

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a stick the right length from seat to throttle, stick the stick in when leaving the truck overnight, check it out when remote starting for 900 RPM. :D

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a stick the right length from seat to throttle, stick the stick in when leaving the truck overnight, check it out when remote starting for 900 RPM. :D
That might just be the solution this winter. I was thinking of wiring a switch to a constant and t taping into the solenoid wiring and when I know I'm going to be remote starting it I'll turn the switch on before I turn off the truck. That way it'll be held open. Just not sure of its bad for solenoid or will drain the batterys

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not bad for the solenoid, but bad for the batteries, it'll drain them. Cold weather reduces the battery efficiency considerably. Your remote start will be useless.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using the cruise control system would be more work than it's worth. All but the 93/94 system runs on vacuum anyway, so that's not going to help any starting. The electronic system on the 93+ could theoretically be used, but it would take some significant electrical engineering and fab skill to do it I think.

https://www.surplussales.com/Relays/RESoleOF-1.html
These folks have 2 12v pull type solnoids (about 1/3 of the way down) that I think would work. They're $15, so worth a try.

Ferd_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I think I got it...

Using something like this https://www.amazon.com/Edelbrock-8013-Universal-Choke-Cable/dp/B0052EPBX0

Attach this to the throttle linkage so when the knob is pulled out it brings it up to about 1k rpms. Then just pull it out after you shut the truck off for the night.
I think we have a winner lol I have a hole from a push button the PO put in the calf panel. I'm planing on running power inverters and have a decent sound system so a manual high idle on a cable would be a double plus then

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online