High Cost of Diesel Fuel

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by theshyguy
I could be worng but I thought Iraq has been pumping oil to the market. If not, what they they been doing with all that oil they've been pumping? And last I heard it was above prewar levels.

The reason oil is so high is because of China. The reason our(Americans) gas is so high is because the lack of refineries. We keep shutting em down but never replace them, therefore limiting the amount of gasoline and diesel we can make

And that folks is the right answer.

Another reason the price of fuel has risen is simply for the fact that the market can bear it. Once fuel useage drops off SIGNIFICANTLY then the suppliers will understand that they have reached the limit of what the market can bear. So you as a consumer have to figure out how to reduce your consumption of said goods or be willing to pay the price.

And one more thing to ponder here, if we let the govt. regulate the price of fuel then whats to stop them from regulating the price of cheerios, or tennis shoes or football tickets. No, lets go ahead and keep govt. regulations out of free enterprise.

Texas Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be worng but I thought Iraq has been pumping oil to the market. .

The last I heard was Iraq was not pumping a drop of crude, I would like to know for sure if they are pumping or if not.

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
Ramprat said:
Personally while I hate the high price of fuel, it's cheaper here than in Canada, Japan or Europe.

What do you want, free fuel, America has some of the lowest fuel prices anywhere & now China is sucking up all the oil they can.

It's called free market, the oil companies will sell to the highest bidders to make a proffit.

Who are you to tell them thay can't make money or how much money they can make.

Americans are spoiled rotten, and I'm one of those that are spoiled rotten.

Rampy,
I'm not looking for an argument, but I disagree with you. Frankly, I don't care how much they're paying for fuel in Japan or Europe. Just because they pay a lot does that mean I should volunteer to pay more?
I'm not trying to tell the oil companies how much money they can make. What bothers me is, they have a corner on the market and the ability to bring this entire country to it's knees. Fuel oil is not something we want, it's something we all need! Everyone needs it to get to work or heat their house or is affected in their everyday life by it each and every single day. Everything we use and eat is in some way affected by the cost of fuel. Everything is delivered by truck which runs probably on diesel fuel.
The oil companies know this and are holding us hostage. I don't think that is moral or legal. You say Americans are spoiled rotten. So what! Will anything change if the oil companies start dictating to us when and how far we can drive our cars and trucks? Are these over paid oil company executives driving little gas efficient economy cars? I doubt it.
These boys got a little monopoly going and half the kids in Washington are in bed with them. What I'm suggesting is, there's something going on here that ain't on the up and up, if you know what I mean and I would like someone to have the balls to find out just what the hell it is. If these guys are going to screw me, I'm at least going to complain about it and I'm not going to say thank you when their finished!

BTW, I know it wasn't you who said it but just for the record. Iraq has very little to do with our oil supply. We import most of our oil from Canada (17%), Saudi Arabia, (14.5%) Mexico, (13%), Venezuela (11%).

Y2KPSD

Texas Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y2KPSD said:
Rampy,
BTW, I know it wasn't you who said it but just for the record. Iraq has very little to do with our oil supply. We import most of our oil from Canada (17%), Saudi Arabia, (14.5%) Mexico, (13%), Venezuela (11%).

Y2KPSD

Beg to differ with you but...

Oil is sold on the open market worldwide, as supply goes DOWN prices go UP on the open market, even though we dont buy Iraqi oil WE pay the higher price due to reduced supply. It's called a global economy. If it can be determined that I am correct, Iraq is not producing crude, then you better contact your dictator-in-cheif in Washington and let him know you want Iraqi oil back in production. That would lower the world crude oil prices, assuming that is what a greedy Texas oil man wants.

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Texas Diesel said:
The last I heard was Iraq was not pumping a drop of crude, I would like to know for sure if they are pumping or if not.

Iraq has been flowing oil since December 11, 2004. Two days after the UN geve them the go-ahead to do so. It is leaving the country via the pipeline that runs through Turkey. And what China,UK,Germany etc etc pays for fuel has a DIRECT impact upon our price at the pump.

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
The reason oil is so high is because of China. The reason our(Americans) gas is so high is because the lack of refineries. We keep shutting em down but never replace them, therefore limiting the amount of gasoline and diesel we can make

95_stroker said:
And that folks is the right answer.

95_stoker said:
So you as a consumer have to figure out how to reduce your consumption of said goods or be willing to pay the price.

And one more thing to ponder here, if we let the govt. regulate the price of fuel then whats to stop them from regulating the price of cheerios, or tennis shoes or football tickets. No, lets go ahead and keep govt. regulations out of free enterprise.

Stroker,
Sorry, but I don't agree with you either. I don't want government regulation of anything. But fuel oil is a necessity, cheerios, or tennis shoes and football tickets and not. The oil companies are holding the American people hostage and someone should find out what the hell is going on.

theshyguy says, "The reason our(Americans) gas is so high is because the lack of refineries. We keep shutting em down but never replace them, therefore limiting the amount of gasoline and diesel we can make".

Whose we? The oil companies! That's who! They're playing games with us. And all the boys in Washington are in bed with them so they don't have to worry about anything. They have a monopoly going on and they're putting the squeeze on the American public. "Therefore limiting the amount of gasoline and diesel we can make", that kinda puts it in a nut shell right there!

Reduce our consumption? We're not talking about just diesel fuel here. Have you ever been to Las Vegas? Then you've seen the lights at night? Talk about a waste of energy! That's only a drop in the bucket and you and I are supposed to start driving fuel efficient cars and trucks to conserve energy! You are correct about reducing our consumption and there will always be those who abuse the system and refuse to conserve on anything. So what's the answer? I just can't stand around and let the greedy oil companies gouge me to death all the while making record profits.

Well, I'm done venting. Thanks for listening. And of course this is only my opinion so I hope it doesn't ruffle anyone's feathers.

Y2KPSD

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Iraq has been flowing oil since December 11, 2004. Two days after the UN geve them the go-ahead to do so. It is leaving the country via the pipeline that runs through Turkey. And what China,UK,Germany etc etc pays for fuel has a DIRECT impact upon our price at the pump.

Stroker,

Another of my opinions is that pipeline that runs from Iraq through Turkey should run directly to the US. It's called the spoils of war!

There should be one running from Kuwait also.

Y2KPSD

Texas Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Iraq has been flowing oil since December 11, 2004.

I missed that news byte. One pipeline is still far short of what they are (were) capable of producing. Probably only a fraction of what it should be but atleast they are shipping some.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y2KPSD said:
Stroker,
Sorry, but I don't agree with you either. I don't want government regulation of anything. But fuel oil is a necessity, cheerios, or tennis shoes and football tickets and not. The oil companies are holding the American people hostage and someone should find out what the hell is going on.

theshyguy says, "The reason our(Americans) gas is so high is because the lack of refineries. We keep shutting em down but never replace them, therefore limiting the amount of gasoline and diesel we can make".

Whose we? The oil companies! That's who! They're playing games with us. And all the boys in Washington are in bed with them so they don't have to worry about anything. They have a monopoly going on and they're putting the squeeze on the American public. "Therefore limiting the amount of gasoline and diesel we can make", that kinda puts it in a nut shell right there!

Reduce our consumption? We're not talking about just diesel fuel here. Have you ever been to Las Vegas? Then you've seen the lights at night? Talk about a waste of energy! That's only a drop in the bucket and you and I are supposed to start driving fuel efficient cars and trucks to conserve energy! You are correct about reducing our consumption and there will always be those who abuse the system and refuse to conserve on anything. So what's the answer? I just can't stand around and let the greedy oil companies gouge me to death all the while making record profits.

Well, I'm done venting. Thanks for listening. And of course this is only my opinion so I hope it doesn't ruffle anyone's feathers.

Y2KPSD

Gar,

Its ok, we can disagree on things here. ;)

As far as fuel oil being a necessity and the other I listed not being, dont get hung up on what I listed. They were just examples of free enterprise and capitalism. Govt regulations have no business anywhere in that sector (as far as price fixing).

I might be considered just a bit biased since I work in the oil and gas industry, but I can also offer a unique perspective from the inside. From where I sit in my corporation (which is damn low on the totem pole) I dont see oil companies holding the American citizen hostage. We have environmental regulations out the whazoo to comply with. The fuel we produce has to meet increasingly stringent EPA demands that adds to our refining costs. When old refineries get shut down in the US the oil company decides not to rebuild a new one due to the exorbinant cost to build a plant that can operate within todays emissions guidelines and put out the fuels that meet todays requirements. Especially at risk in this game are the independent producers (your mom and pop refiners of years ago), they simply dont have the capital to play in todays game, so they get bought up by your Chevrons, your BP's, your Shell's etc etc. The old worn out refinery gets shut in and mothballed, the workers get laid off and the crude oil that used to supply that refinery goes to another refinery that has been retro-fitted to comply with the EPA regs.

I wont comment on Washington cronies being in bed with anybody, thats business and politics and thats how it has always been. Been to the doctor lately and had a perscription written? Talk about highway robbery.

And your quote that I highlighted in red is the sum total of all of it. Until we as a nation recognize how disgustingly wasteful we have become on nearly every aspect of our lives how can you blame an oil company for wanting their piece of the pie too? Just as soon as the fountains get shut off in Vegas, and the Big Mac goes by the wayside and every driveway having two (or three or four) BRAND NEW cars in the driveway of a home that you know damn good and well has a $300K mortgage on it realize how wasteful they (we) are being is when things might begin to straighten out again. But if everybody can afford to pay for all those things (and they can or else those things would not exist) then I guess folks can afford $2.50 to $3.00 per gallon too.

Everything you have just read is JMVHO. Not at all intended to **** anybody off, but maybe just maybe spur some thought.

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Its ok, we can disagree on things here. ;)
Mike,
I must be paranoid. Other places you could get the boot for disagreeing! :hail

every driveway having two (or three or four) BRAND NEW cars in the driveway of a home that you know damn good and well has a $300K mortgage. But if everybody can afford to pay for all those things (and they can or else those things would not exist) then I guess folks can afford $2.50 to $3.00 per gallon too.
Maybe I'm just pissed off because I can't afford those things! ;Pissed I'm on a fixed income and can barley make ends meet now. If it weren't for my veterans exemption on my property taxes, I wouldn't be able to live where I live now. :thanks: As it is $2.20/gal. is killing me and it's supposed to get worse. What are people like me supposed to do other then limit our driving and stay home? I have to drive just to go to the grocery store and the drug store. Oh well, life's a *****, then you die!

Y2KPSD

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Swany said:
$300k mortgage???? Tell me it's not so!!!

Not every place has the outrageous prices of California Swany. In most parts of the country 300K buys you a nice home. I know in your neighborhood that 300K is slumming it.

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Y2KPSD said:
Mike,

Maybe I'm just pissed off because I can't afford those things! ;Pissed I'm on a fixed income and can barley make ends meet now. If it weren't for my veterans exemption on my property taxes, I wouldn't be able to live where I live now. :thanks: As it is $2.20/gal. is killing me and it's supposed to get worse. What are people like me supposed to do other then limit our driving and stay home? I have to drive just to go to the grocery store and the drug store. Oh well, life's a *****, then you die!

Y2KPSD

Y2, I'm with ya and understand exactly where you are coming from. We also get the veterans exemption here on property taxes and it helps & our home mortgage ain't near near 300K. ****, Uncle Sam gives me a check (thanks guys) and so does the VA, (thanks again) but the VA one is only saving me a few bucks on taxes against the full retirement from Uncle Sam.

Right now it's only $2.14 for diesel and $1.99 for gas here. However, we get gas on base & that's $1.89 right now :rolleyes: Bad thing is the weather won't let me put the motorcycle on the road, not to mention premium here is running right around $2.25 & that's what the bike drinks.

I've cut way back on driving the PSD & try to limit it's road time all together not to mention turning it off as much as possible instead of letting it idle. Been taking the car as much as possible, but with 2 kids in school, swim team, bowling leagues and such it seems we are driving more and more.

But then we are lucky in that the cost of living is rather low here not to mention I've got a semi good job & so does the wife.

Now if I could just talk the wife into getting her inhearantance early :angel: :angel: ;)

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Not every place has the outrageous prices of California Swany. In most parts of the country 300K buys you a nice home. I know in your neighborhood that 300K is slumming it.

Just a few blocks from here a new development is going in where town homes are running 300K :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can't believe how the price of a home has gone through the roof since we moved here. We were stupid & did not purchase a home right away as we did not plan on putting down roots here. If we would have purchased the same home we are now living in back in 98 we would have saved 40 to 50K easy :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hindsight is always 20 20 though :puke:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ramprat said:
Just a few blocks from here a new development is going in where town homes are running 300K :eek: :eek: :eek:

Can't believe how the price of a home has gone through the roof since we moved here. We were stupid & did not purchase a home right away as we did not plan on putting down roots here. If we would have purchased the same home we are now living in back in 98 we would have saved 40 to 50K easy :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hindsight is always 20 20 though :puke:

Same thing is happening in Casper Rampy, I bought my home in 99 here, its increased in value nearly 70K since then.

So while we do ***** about the price of fuel (yes guys, I ***** about it too) we are also on the recieving end of inflation too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.