HID's, are they possible or has anyone done them?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that all retro-fit HID's are not legal to use, even though they sell them. Just like they sell those smoked headlight covers that are not legal, cops around here will pull you over in a second if they see them.

I think it takes a little engineering to fit HID's to a vehicle and give good light without blinding other drivers. You may not get very good results drilling holes in your old housings and trying to make them work. And those blue bulbs that claim to be HID are not.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
What year truck.probley a brick or obs but I can't see your sig on my phone if you have the year on it

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
For the 87-91's, there aren't any aftermarket options out there sadly.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the 87-91's, there aren't any aftermarket options out there sadly.

this isnt 100% correct.
there is a guy, i would have to search his name, on i believe its a bronco site, that builds brick nose headlights with clear lenses and HID's
but at the tune for 600 bucks. which isnt too bad, but there is visable dukt tape that holds some of it together, i decided to decline

sassyrel

Reaction score
this isnt 100% correct.
there is a guy, i would have to search his name, on i believe its a bronco site, that builds brick nose headlights with clear lenses and HID's
but at the tune for 600 bucks. which isnt too bad, but there is visable dukt tape that holds some of it together, i decided to decline

so your saying,,you don't like red green??? :D

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Just wondering what it takes to put them in.

Can get all the supplies here...
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

Basically, to do it properly you need to use projectors. Just putting arc source bulbs in a normal housing will blind others on the road. The projectors will give you that nice clean line. If you have sealed beam, probably the best way to go is the LED lighting.

You can do it all for probably $250-$300 plus building it yourself.

Here is a link to my thread showing some of my install.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...graded-headlights-finally&highlight=headlight

Last edited:

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it's not what you asked, but.... I tried everything to improve the lights in my 89 p/u: relay kit, illegal high watt bulbs, polished/cleaned the lens etc, etc. I was has not happy with any of it until I replaced the entire buckets with aftermarket new stiff. The lights appeared to be 2x brighter than the old fogged up, scratched buckets I was running. I found them on ebay for 125$ish (i think).

in the end, I'm very happy with it. It was a fast, easy cheap upgrade to help my old ride stay new.

Shop around, I found a pair for this ball park price

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=79

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run several different types of HID lights, personally I prefer LED hands down.

I had one set of HID lights that wouldn't fire in cold weather until they warmed up

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk