heres a rare one

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Timing belts:puke: gotta love a 444 idi. no timing belts to replace and conciquently no valves reaching second base with the pistons:love:

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing belts:puke: gotta love a 444 idi. no timing belts to replace and conciquently no valves reaching second base with the pistons:love:

Yeah, no kidding. I'ts kinda nice we dont have timing chains either.

The little diesel they used in the ****** and tempo was an idi, as was everything light duty from that era. Far as I remember, direct injection was all the big heavy duty commercial engines.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an 86 diesel ****** back in the 90s. It would break 50 mpg on the highway. It is over 300k now and used by a local logger to get back and forth to the woods. I think he had to beef up the springs to keep the fuel, saws, and tools from bottoming out the suspension, but it is still pulling him out to the jobsite every day.

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
What engine is in that thing? not an idi im assuming. Man its too bad ford doesnt make a diesel car. I put the blame on the epa for trying to outlaw diesel engines.

The EPA didn't stopped Ford selling them. It was sales, Ford wants to sale large numbers of autos. When people don't buy under powered stinky little cars what's Ford to do. It wasn't the EPA the killed the Excursion, it was sales. Ford wanted to sell more than 250000 year. They suits at Ford figured with low sales number they rather just stop production.