HELP!!!!!!!!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a pressure gage on your regulator? If you do you could just monitor the pressure and see if it’s related.

You could also use a manual override switch to start your electric pump prior to cranking.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a electronic programmable tune delay board I'm going to wire in. But jumper it first to see if that's the issue.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did my e fuel on my 97 I used the fuel heater wire to trigger my fuel pump relay. I didn’t worry about an oil pressure switch because a powerstroke isn’t going to run without oil pressure. I did put an inertia switch on in case of an accident. This could simplify things.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the oil pressure switch for the same reason you used the inertia switch. I wanted to make sure that pump wouldn't be pumping in the event of a crash. Your correct, deleting the oil pressure switch and adding the inertia would simplify things.
Does the fuel heater wire get power all the time when the ignition is on?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Changed the glow plugs with motorcraft. Also swapped out the engine harness as I found two burnt plugs for the uvch. The truck starts and runs even when cold. It still hesitates right at startup oddly. I'm wondering if this is fuel presssure related. I did a custom e fuel on it with a Walbro pump and the pump is only powered when cranking and with oil pressure. I wonder if the lag in starting is related to the pump only starting to build fuel pressure once the engine starts cranking.

Absolutely. My SD 7.3 powers the electric fuel pump as soon as the key is turned to on, and times out after 30 seconds or so.

I would reconfigure one way or another so that you have fuel pressure as soon as the key is turned to on. Even the mechanical fuel pumps on the OBS trucks build pressure before oil pressure is confirmed.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the way mine is setup is the fuel pump will run when the truck is cRanking as well as when once it gets above 2psi of low pressure oil. I just hate the thought of wiring it hot to the ignition for fear that I'll just sit and run the pump one day when I just have the key on for something. Although since the system is regulated it will be just like it always runs even when the truck is running I guess except it won't have much flow and could build up heat. I may just be worrying over nothing.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But I still could get fancy and use my programmable time delay circuit board to power the pump
For 20-30 seconds with a trigger signal from the key on position. Then the pressure switch would take over.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have just stuck with the mechanical fuel system, but if I was installing an electric fuel pump I would have it powered constantly with ignition "on" and have a kill switch mounted in the cab for when I was doing something that required the ignition to be on with the engine off.

I suppose you could hot wire the fuel pump directly to see if pumping fuel prior to starting solves your starting issue before changing any of your current setup.

FWIW I also have my glow plugs on a switch in the cab that breaks the PCM ground signal, for when the glow plugs aren't really necessary and when the truck has started to kill power to the glow plugs to save wear and tear on the plugs, wires, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online