1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '7.3L Powerstroke Diesels' started by Kraig, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Kraig

Kraig Full Access Member

Please help. I think I just completely screwed my engine but I need yall to tell me yes or no.

I was installing the freezplug in the top of the engine and it went in WAY too easily and went almost all the way with a light tap. Well needless to say it fell all the way in.

I'd love for someone to tell me Im not completely screwed but I am thinking it's over. Like I just put this engine in a couple of months ago and have been fighting fuel problems. So I thought e fuel would be the bees knees.

please give me any advise you can. Thanks

2. Kraig

Kraig Full Access Member

Update, I hand turned the engine over and I heard the freeze plug clearly hit the bottom of the pan. Thoughts on leaving it there or trying to pull the starter and pulling the dipstick adapter and tryin to fish it out?

3. Kraig

Kraig Full Access Member

Anyone?

4. greenskeeper

greenskeeper Full Access Member

If you're certain it's at the bottom of the pan, it *probably* won't hurt anything. I state "probably" because although the pan is deep, there's still a round metal disc where it doesn't belong. I would most worry about it getting sucked up against the oil pickup tube.

You could try going in through the dipstick adapter, but that also has parts that could fall into the oil pan. Proceed carefully if you go that route, if you can take off the adapter without dropping something else into the pan, then I'd say you'd probably be fairly successful with fishing out the freeze plug with a magnet extension.

Kraig likes this.
  5. Kraig

Kraig Full Access Member

What's the best method of holding the dip stick tube adapter? I've heard a gun bore brush? Coat hanger? What would you recommend

6. lotzagoodstuff

lotzagoodstuff Supporting Member Supporting Member

One other thing you could consider, even if you end up going through the dipstick tube, is having your truck someplace where you have access to compressed air and a welder. Plenty of folks have cut a hold in the pan and welded it back up rather than pulling the engine to remove the pan. You might even see if you can find a local welder who can do this rather than touching the oil pan dipstick at all, but that's your preference.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/base-of-dipstick-tube-fell-into-oil-pan-help.32281/

7. greenskeeper

greenskeeper Full Access Member

I've never removed/replaced the dipstick on either of my trucks so I've got no advice from experience.

Kraig likes this.
  8. Kraig

Kraig Full Access Member

Ok update:
    I used a bore brush for a gun to hold the oil dipstick adapter. Worked perfectly. Through a lot of praying I finally got the freeze plug out with a magnet. PRAISE THE LORD! And the dipstick tube adapter went back on easily.

so I did not have a repeat of the last I ended up cutting the old fuel pump up and threading the hole in the top. I tapped it to a 3/8 bolt and covered it in permatex and thread tape. I then strapped the blue banjo fuel line adapter right on top of it and bolted the whole affair down. So the Underhood work is done.

thank you all for your help.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 2:25 PM
  9. Kraig

Kraig Full Access Member

Ok so e fuel is installed and the truck starts much better but still has a 3-4 second crank time and a bit of white fuelly smoke. Any ideas?