HELP! Truck wont turn over!!!

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys Ill try to make a long story short. I was driving home from the parts store the other night(getting parts for the bike) and the motor died(1 block from the house:frustrate:frustrate) I had enough momentum to carry me off to a side street. Once I came to a stop I tried to start the truck and when I cranked it over it cranked really slow. I knew it was not going to light but I still tried in vein hopping, just maybe it would.......nope, didn't happen, batteries died. Tried cranking it for about 4-5 sec 2-3 times then they dead. Got the truck home(Dad towed) and I have had the batteries tested and the alternator tested and they all tested good(made them test everything 2 time) I cleaned the negative to motor connections(grounds) and put in a new starter solenoid and glow plug solenoid.

But heres the crazy part...

I have 12.57 volts to the starter when the ignition is in the ACC/RUN position, when the key is turned to the ON position it goes to.07 volts. What is with this?:dunno:***: And I cant seem to jump the started solenoid, like the batteries are dead(less than 1 year old), but they tested good(at the parts store) and I charged them on a 750ma charger for 20 hours(like recommended). And this all happened while I was driving and I dont know what eles to try. Is there a short, is it a bad ground, or am I just missing someone, but I have been trying fix this for3 days and need help!!!!! thanks guys

J

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like the ignition switch craped out on you. Their two differant circuts in the switch. One is the run circut where al the power goes to all the locations so the truck can run everything. Then there is the start curcut where nothing but whats needed to operate the starter and injection pump. No lites... No heater and no radio. Nothing else works so all the power is directed to the needed starting circut. Hope this helps you understand. Others hopefully will chime in with better information...

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
No where in your post does it say that you tested or replaced the starter.:dunno A bad starter can make good batteries seem dead as a can be.

So you may have 2 problems on hand. Why is my starter not turning over and why did the engine die?

I have never had a problem with mine but could it be an ignition switch issue?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Sounds like the ignition switch craped out on you. Their two differant circuts in the switch. One is the run circut where al the power goes to all the locations so the truck can run everything. Then there is the start curcut where nothing but whats needed to operate the starter and injection pump. No lites... No heater and no radio. Nothing else works so all the power is directed to the needed starting circut. Hope this helps you understand. Others hopefully will chime in with better information...

Damn, posted as I was typing.:rolleyes:

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no taken the starter out to have it tested(original starter) I cant tell you why it died, but I tested the fuel shut off solenoid(with key one) and had no power to it, or anything on top of the IP. After I installed the new starter solenoid and glow plug solenoid I had power to everything on top of the IP. I dont really know what I did, but it gave power back to all the stuff on the IP. I cleaned a few things up as far as messy wiring. At this point Im hopping its a bad started because I hate wiring lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
Crapped out starter wouldn't explain it dying in the first place, though. Batteries could have dead cells, but both at the same time? Dunno. How do the battery cables look?

Mike

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I am familiar with the two different circuits. Im just hopping its mechanical(starter) because I hate dealing with wiring, its one of those things Im good at but do not like doing lol. Id rather rebuild my 6.9, zf5, and bw1356 before rewiring stuff hahaha.

Jmackk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
battery cables look good, I trimmed the ends off and put new ends on the same time I put new batteries on. Basic run down would be, new batteries(800CA), cable ends, starter solenoid, glow plug solenoid, negatives cleaned, positives cleaned, and new fuses. Im thinking it could be short due to the loss of power at the FSS but how does the loss of power there coincide with the starter not spinning????

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had something similar happen. Replaced the ignition relay ( the one on top of the steering column) and all was well for about 2 weeks until it went out again. Finally just said heck with it and went to a push button start. Although, I was able to jump start my truck at the solenoid on the fender wall. Maybe there is a gremlin out there that someone knows about and can clue us in.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Like Goose said it sounds like two different issues. If you aren't getting power to the FSS then it's the ignition slider switch on the column or the wiring in between.
And if it won't turn over when jumping the solenoid on the fender and your batteries are good and the connections are good then that leaves the starter. I had mine go bad slowly a couple years ago. Slow turning over and would barely get it started. Everyone was telling me I needed new batteries. When I replaced the starter it spun over like new.
Pull the starter and have it tested.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online