HELP! T444E POWERCHOKE 90psi Comp on three cyl.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
My new(to me) running take-out will leave PA Friday. Courtesy of ebay I bought a 94 model T444E w/180k mi, complete from turbo to oil pan. Also included was the intercooler, radiator, fan, ecm, IH instrument cluster, and the drive by wire throttle. All for less than a core charge! I will get back to you on a delivery date.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
My truck was 175Hp when I bought it and all that had to be redone to raise it to 210HP was reflash the computer. Everything else was the same. It is a 2001, don't know if 94 is the same. But once you have it all can be told by the numbers.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks SPG , there are not alot of places to get any info on a real INTERNATIONAL!

;Pissed -cuss C'mon now. Almost all the parts I have had to replace so far I bought from Smith International for about half what the same parts would cost me at the Ferd stealership (which BTW come in the IH packaging as Ford doesn't even bother to repackage itLOL ), most of the stuff was carried in stock too which was a bonus.

They couldn't figure out how I had already looked up and cross refferenced all of the part numbers before I walked in, I love the internet.

P.S. Haven't started breaking much of the the Ford stuff yet. ;p

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
NO argumet there, just that the ecm codes and programming and things of that nature just arent the same. Whens that last time your Ford had a crank relay go out? Not that the Int'l is better or worse, just a different setup that you would have to drive to appreciate. BTW keep buying from Int'l, Ford gets enough money when they sell the truck!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havn't replaced the crank sensor........ yetLOL Had the truck since Jan and have no idea if or when the previous 2 owners ever replaced it. Good news is that Ford dropped the price to about $20 - $25 now from the buck eighty it used to be.

The major difference is the front cover and forward, ecm like you mentioned and a few other external items.

Oh I'll keep buying from IH, the dealership lost my business when they tried to gouge me on the front cover. Cost is about $355, MSRP is $480 and they told me $580.... I told them what I knew about the cost and MSRP and they immediatly dropped the price to $380....I told them to stuff it and bought a good used one locally with the HPOP, CPS and IPR valve still attached for $125

Back on track...hopefully the new one comes in this before friday and you can get the numbers posted off both engines, be glad to help you sort out the differences. I'll be gone for a couple weeks after that without internet access so I don't want you to think I ditched ya after offering to help.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
There is a Crank Relay on the Int'l that should be called a start relay. Its located behind a panel on the passenger dash and controls voltage from the key switch to the start circuit. I dont remember anything like that on my Fords. Hows the new travel trailer?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a Crank Relay on the Int'l that should be called a start relay. Its located behind a panel on the passenger dash and controls voltage from the key switch to the start circuit. I dont remember anything like that on my Fords. Hows the new travel trailer?

Fortunatly I don't know much about about the relays and such yet. I usually am pretty lucky with electrical systems and always avoid something that somebody has been chopping into the factory harness when I buy a used vehicle so I rarely get into that aspect of repair.

The new TT is doing great, glad I bought new vs somebody elses problems, only problem was the stereo quit working which turned out to be a loose wire connection. Spent 5 days in Virginia Beach for a shake down run prior to going to Michigan and had a good time.

Picked up a small Coleman Proforce 3750w generator today for $299 at Northern Tool and broke it in today. Works pretty good, ran about 5 hrs on 1-1/2 gallons of fuel with the AC cranked. Will run it a bit more tomorrow and change the oil. Kinda funny watching me fill the oil today, I forgot these small engines only hold about a pint and tipped the quart bottle up into the funnel........had to clean a pint of oil off my tailgate when I came back to check the level :idiot: Glad it worked out because this generator hides nicely under my trucks Tonneau cover so it isn't seen while traveling.

The truck did very well, much quieter than I expected with a Tymar and straight pipe, tranny isn't hunting in and out of OD and it's averaging 11 - 12 MPG and doesn't seem to be working hard at all which was what I wanted with 332,000 miles on it. It pulls really nice and hardly notice it's back there exept when accelerating with a GCW of 15 - 16k. She'll get a good workout in West Virginia on the way to Michigan this weekend.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
When you master WV, come out here and practice on the Gorge! We got some really interesting projects comming up at work, making sidebooms out of dozers, i will have to get some pics for it to make sense. So it will be a while before my trailer gets to go home. I hope my NEW trailer is ready before I leave here.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL I don't need practice in the Gorge.

Man I hate driving through there, just tedious to me. Last time was about 6 months ago pulling my IDI back with a towbar when I bought the superduty in Dyersberg, TN. Towbar was thrashed and bent from a previous near miss emergency stop incident that trip and the IDI was slamming side to side giving a white knuckle ride through there.

I think the worst grade of the grade of the trip will be Fancy Gap, not too bad when you stay on the big road.

Been a long time since I've done much fabrication work, just don't have the physical strength to work heavy metal anymore.

Congrats on the new trailer. Whatcha gittin...PICS:popcorn

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Theyre building the trailer, you can go to www.crossroadsrv.com and look for the Paradise Pointe. Gonna get the 36' bumper pull with the front dinete/bedroom. Pullin out all the stops, right down to the Fireplace! The dolly axle has destroyed my Fifth wheel and I need to lighten up a bit anyway. 40k+ is just too much for the Int'l 4700, might be the reason I am replacing the engine!

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Got them numbers off the replacement engine! These were located above the oilfilter just the rear of the filter housing. also they read in an upwards direction toward the head..................... 7.4H M2U 141270. If these are not the correct ones please advise of location to find the proper ones. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance