Help! Smokey Pete is too smokey. LOTS of white smoke

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need your help guys. Smokey Pete is blowing serious smoke. I fear the worst, but figure I'll check here first. Video below shows startup, then after high idle/advance kicks off (respectively).

Here's what I know:
-Lost my lower radiator hose on my drive into work Thursday. Got there and coolant everywhere. Not sure why it blew off, I've driven it about 400 miles since the rebuild, and much harder than I did on this trip.
-Drove to Napa, got two gallons of coolant.
-On my way home, temp spiked the gauge to the far right. I was going about 30mph, I pulled off right away and opened the hood.
-Poured in two gallons of coolant, and three gallons of water (it's what was available).

Drove it home. Temp spiked once more, three miles down the road, I pulled off, but this time temp swung back down and drove normally back home at 55mph. I assume this was an air bubble?

Then at home, trying to diagnose, I put a new CDD injection pump and injectors into it. The one I had was an NA pump, so I turned it up 2 flats (freshly rebuilt banks turbo).

Seems like it idles a ton smoother than it did before, but, uh, the smoke. So much smoke. I can't tell if it's sweet or acrid.

I haven't seen any coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant.

Coolant keeps burping air, no matter how many times I bleed it at heater core or radiator cap, there is ALWAYS air in the system.

Last piece of (maybe) relevant info, my upper radiator hose gets rock hard until I bleed air out, then it gets completely empty. Then rock hard, then empty out, on and on.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm at a loss on this one.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pump timing sounds plenty advanced, looks like its burning oil or coolant. I would pressure test the cooling system make sure you dont have a headgasket issue. If you vacuum fill the cooling system you will not have any air pockets. If it fails the cooling system test I would pull the crossover pipe off see if you can narrow it down to one bank and retorque that head.

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds a lot like when my headgasket blew; didn't make it into the oil, just between a couple of cylinders. I spiked my temp gauge on the highway when it happened, and warped a head (found out after finishing the install and instantly blowing through the new gasket).

Check for pressure out of the radiator or bubbles in the overflow while running. Quick and dirty test is pull the glow plugs and valve covers, loosen all the rockers, and blow compressed air down each hole with a rubber tipped nozzle. If the air isn't staying in the cylinder, you'll find where it's going.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great advice guys. I'll go home today and take a look.

I, too, fear headgasket. The top radiator hose was rock hard this morning when I left, and I just had my wife check and it's lost it's pressure and much more pliable. Which means that pressure is going somewhere... eeek.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't seem like it. It was running great for the last 400 miles, no smoke hardly at all. Then all of a sudden a ton of smoke. Seems way too much to be suddenly huge cavitation.

I mean, I guess anything's possible, but that one seems unlikely. (fingers crossed)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online