Help!!! Random cut wires

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The switch that controls the high idle plunger also internally advances your injection pump. That is the rear of the two wires on your pump. It sounds like the switch is working properly. Mine shuts off when the coolant reaches 130* The plunger can be adjusted by threading it in or out with a 1/4" wrench. Until the internal advance on your pump shuts off the truck will behave like you describe. I cruise along and don't push the truck hard until the advance shuts off. You should be able to hear the difference (less diesel knock when off).

sambodean

Reaction score
The switch that controls the high idle plunger also internally advances your injection pump. That is the rear of the two wires on your pump. It sounds like the switch is working properly. Mine shuts off when the coolant reaches 130* The plunger can be adjusted by threading it in or out with a 1/4" wrench. Until the internal advance on your pump shuts off the truck will behave like you describe. I cruise along and don't push the truck hard until the advance shuts off. You should be able to hear the difference (less diesel knock when off).

The problem is as soon as i try to drive it, it revs out of control, and the plunger gets stuck out. I'm confused because it was working correctly just a couple days ago? are these things known to just get stuck open? I dont know if adjusting it down will make i work correctly, but Ill try and let you know.

sambodean

Reaction score
nevermind. I just took the fast idle control apart. there was a piece of plastic inside the mechanism that was broke. Looks like its off to pic and pull tomorrow!

sambodean

Reaction score
update: went to the junkyard and found the part, but the connection was broke, so i soldered it, and it runs like a champ!!!....minus the leaky return line from the injector. I also bypassed the troublesome water seperator, and haven't had any problems with starting it up. ALSO, I just purchased a set of 3.54 axles, sterling 10.25 in the rear, and what i THOUGHT was the same as mine in the front, but the hubs are bigger? I was told it would bolt right up, which I think it will, but Im worried my wheels center bore won't fit over the new beefy hubs? Anyone familiar what exactly what hubs I'm talking about on the front? I know I can grab my calipers and measure as soon as I get a chance, but this truck is parked at the marina, so I only see it when I'm out that way to work. I thought the guy said he removed the axles off of an 88 but I'm not certain. any words of wisdom for the axle swap?

sambodean

Reaction score
one other thing, the guy said I could add a leaf to the front and the rear and pretty much gain almost 2 inches? does anyone have a write up on this, seeing as how Ill be doing the axles soon, I might as well gain another two inches to fit some 35's to deal with that horrible highway speed.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what trans are you running?
i put a zf in my 87 because i was tach'n out on the freeway,
now i cruise @ 75 near 1100 rpms w/ 4.11's

what are your plans with the old axles?

ya need to edit your signature so we know what your dealing with!
wheres the beef? i mean pictures lol

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you don't, not unless you're running a Gear Vendors overdrive or the like.. With 3.55s, a ZF5 will be doing about 2200 at 75 MPH. With 4.10s you're doing closer to 2400-2500.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, you don't, not unless you're running a Gear Vendors overdrive or the like.. With 3.55s, a ZF5 will be doing about 2200 at 75 MPH. With 4.10s you're doing closer to 2400-2500.

i love it when someone puts me in check.
i usually call ********.
then go check.lol
indeed i do not.
the 87 has 3.56
the 89 has 4.11

learn something new about my trucks every day...

i just had a mental axle swap :D

also my speedo and tach are most likely off

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDIoit Please:
what trans are you running?
i put a zf in my 87 because i was tach'n out on the freeway,
Ya damn near killed me. Was eating an Apple Fritter and took a sip of coffee, almost ckoked, when I read that. Gonna take a little to clean the keyboard. :D

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what can i say, sometimes i can be a ********...lol

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ALSO, I just purchased a set of 3.54 axles, sterling 10.25 in the rear, and what i THOUGHT was the same as mine in the front, but the hubs are bigger? I was told it would bolt right up, which I think it will, but Im worried my wheels center bore won't fit over the new beefy hubs? Anyone familiar what exactly what hubs I'm talking about on the front? I know I can grab my calipers and measure as soon as I get a chance, but this truck is parked at the marina, so I only see it when I'm out that way to work. I thought the guy said he removed the axles off of an 88 but I'm not certain. any words of wisdom for the axle swap?

What year is your truck? If it's an early truck, you might have a D44 HD under it in which case, the hubs will probably be larger. The front axle out of the newer truck will either be a D50 TTB or a D60 if its an 88. Either would have the same size hubs but larger than the 44 I think. If this is the case, you will need the larger brake calipers etc. too not just the naked axle. Lots of axle swap threads here but for specific help there we will need a bit more information. Like year of your truck, current axle, new axle type etc. If the new axle is a D60 solid axle there are other bits you need to make sure you get.

sambodean

Reaction score
What year is your truck? If it's an early truck, you might have a D44 HD under it in which case, the hubs will probably be larger. The front axle out of the newer truck will either be a D50 TTB or a D60 if its an 88. Either would have the same size hubs but larger than the 44 I think. If this is the case, you will need the larger brake calipers etc. too not just the naked axle. Lots of axle swap threads here but for specific help there we will need a bit more information. Like year of your truck, current axle, new axle type etc. If the new axle is a D60 solid axle there are other bits you need to make sure you get.

My truck is a 1985. The axles I bought look Identical to the ones I have on it currently, its just the hubs are much larger in the front. He hooked me up with the brake calipers and everything else, so I'm not really worried about that.

sambodean

Reaction score
Apparently the axles are off of an 87 f250. He assured me they'll fit my stock wheels. I called up a shop to see how much they would charge to swap it all since I don't have a place to do the work... I almost crapped myself when he told me around 900? I think I'll be able swing doing the rear, but does anyone know of some place in the Bay Area that does decent work for cheap, or can I just rent out your yard for a day lol? I can go to the base where my friend works (I used to be in the military) but I can't leave my truck over night.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sam, im 30 minutes from you.
id let you do it here.
maybe for the price of your old axles if youre not doing anything with em??:sly

count on it being a 2 day job, so bring a friend and another rig.

if the axles arnt up for grabs we can work something out. pm me

i have too many projects, so i cant do the job for ya, but i can help a bit.
fully equipped on whatever you need, besides a press.